1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another run-in with an AAU baseball coach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 2, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

except it seems to me that actually "working" as a fundraiser it too hard on today's kiddos. most of the ones around these parts seem to just want to stand at intersections with signs asking for donations. i might give a group a bigger-than-deserved donation in exchange for a car wash but these brats and their bratty parents want handouts.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

for some reason, giving money to kids so they can go to Disney World and play in a baseball tournament isn't real high on my giving list, either.

3. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

Is the AAU coach Tom Emanski, and does he want the notice in back-to-back-to-back days? And is Fred McGriff the hitting coach? And does the team wear those mesh hats?

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

We used to have a sports briefs document that we used to run at least once a week. Just perfect for this kind of stuff

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good one Sam!

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think that's an overgeneralization.

I know his who have worked their butts off to raise money for school and sports trips.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

sp,

This really isn't a "run-in." This is a coach asking for something. And this should be you reiterating your policies. It's really not that big a deal.

And -- yes -- when you tell someone that you can't guarantee something will run once, 10 times, a million times, all they hear is you telling them no.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

seems like not a weekend with sunshine goes by that i don't see the beggers and their handout buckets while i've seen a car wash crew (from a church) just once this summer.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We run ours every day.

Some things don't get in (ie things outside our coverage area), but we'll get almost everything that's turned in in the sports calendar.

10. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

If you have a Web site, you can always park notices like this there as well ... takes some of the heat off me when the print product doesn't have the space you need for everything ...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why would anyone run any brief more than once? gonna run thursday's nfl gamer on friday and again next monday?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

High Rise mesh hats...

Draft saved Draft deleted