1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil liberties.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone who says smoking is not a right. Frame it as a personal choice if you want, but the bottom line is a cigarette is an unhealthy pollutant and I have the right not to be bothered by it.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It was genius when planes had smoking and non-smoking seats.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Heading to the 1988 Final Four, the first I covered, there was a problem with my flight and I wound up getting bounced to the next flight.
    There were seats only in the smoking section.
    I still cannot believe I survived that 2 hours.
    What a nightmare.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil libertie

Which did exactly squat in keeping smoke from wafting up to the non-smoking seats.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just open a window and quit bitchin.

6. jps

jps Active Member

not many things get me more riled up than seeing parents blowing their toxins into the face of their small child(ren). pisses me off to no end.

though I did see a lady riding down the street on her 10-speed the other day, smoke in-hand, puffing away. cracked me up.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can I still smoke weed?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That one drives me insane. I will never forget sitting in the car with my wife outside a movie theater once, waiting for her parents to come out. There was this idiot with her son, who was no more than seven years old. The zipper on his coat was stuck, so she knelt down to help him with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth, blowing smoke right in the kid's face.

Before I even said a word, Mrs. OOP said. "Don't you dare get out of this car." She knew I was capable of doing it and just how ugly it would have gotten. She was probably right, but damn that still pisses me off.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil libertie

The banning of smoking on college campuses is often due to laws about smoking on state property. Don't like it? Change the law.

But when it comes to laws governing smokers, the one I want changed regards their cigarette butts. I want the litter laws stiffened so when a cop sees a smoker toss a used butt out the window it's a $2,500 fine.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Smokers here have to stay away from doors and windows if they want to smoke outside at public places.

And all restaurants in the city where I work have been smoke free for about two years now.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, my alma mater blows.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hope you'll live.

Draft saved Draft deleted