1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil liberties.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There are times that I'd really like a beer.

But, I haven't been able to drink one legally on almost all of the college campuses around here for years.

Where's the outcry?

What about my rights?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Where the hell are you? Bible Belt? If you can't buy a beer legally at the 4-year college campuses down here, you're just not trying.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of places of work where they only let people smoke in their cars.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Thank you. What about my rights not to inhale that toxic crap? It's a public health issue, which makes it appropriate to ban at public universities. You don't like it? It's America, you have the freedom to transfer to another school or drop out of school. Spare me the boo hoos.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know of a newspaper that won't allow you to smoke on the premises.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil libertie

Do you have any conception of how much emissions from factories have been cleaned up since the 1970s? The smoke coming out of the mouths of smokers is more dangerous than that of your average factory.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Grimace and I are in rare agreement. And I will repeat a question I asked about a year ago: knowing all we know about smoking, its effects, what it does to the body, the slow, painful deaths by cancer, the cost, the social stigma, why in the hell would anyone with any amount of intelligence smoke?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you remember when you could smoke on airplanes?

Then they moved the smokers to the back. Yeah, because that helped.

Does anyone remember being able to smoke pretty much anywhere you wanted--grocery stores, malls, offices, elevators, hospitals, buses, subways and streetcars?

I do.

Every time they passed a law restricting the activity, someone like Zag would go on and on about their "RIGHTS" .

Same town in Nova Scotia where my kids go to school was the first jurisdiction in North America to outlaw smoking in your automobile when there were children passengers.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because it's cool and all their friends are doing it.

This might be the rare instance where Hondo and I agree 100 percent on something.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have never been especially bothered by cigarette smoke, but when they banned it in restaurants, it was pleasant not to have it wafting in your face.

Recently went to a restaurant and ate on the patio. A fellow a couple tables away lit up and it was like they dumped an ashtray on our food. Really ruined the experience. And I'm not a big anti-smoker at all.

I just think that the more used to smoke-free air that people get, the less they are going to tolerate it in places they want to sit, stand or walk.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Colleges are all screwed up when it comes to these things. Like a few weeks back when 100-plus schools signed a petition to lower the drinking age, citing "everyone drinks anyway and it will cut down on binging" when infact all they wanted to do was end their liability when a 19-year-old drunk gal falls three stories out a dorm window. Now this-- are they worried about second-hand smoke lawsuits?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two different issues.

I think there's about a 1,000 page thread somewhere on lowering the drinking age.

Draft saved Draft deleted