1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason why athletes should wait to get married.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Next stop: She was asking for it!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, leaving the seat up, the dirty socks on the floor, massive chronic worldwide infidelity, failing to take the trash out, hogging the TV.

Many factors to this breakup.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't let the freedom of speech get in the way or your judgments.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I still want Tiger to win every major he enters (guy can't even write the words "he enters" in a sentence about Tiger without feeling dirty. Damn your libido, Tiger). Even knowing how horrible he was as a husband and, yes, as a dad.

But it's laughable and just bizarre to criticize Elin for speaking up in any way. And Christ, it's not like she was pulling a Kitty Kelley here. What was kiss and tell about this? I haven't seen the full interview, but I'm guessing it's not like she revealed what Tiger said during sex therapy. She said what you'd expect any woman in her situation to say and at this point in the festivities, she was the only one who could have really added anything to this story - the mistress stories got old and repetitive after about the 27th one.

And, oh, here's what Tiger said today:
    So yeah, I'm guessing the infidelity was the driving force behind the breakup.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Playthrough, maybe the guy just fell out of love with his wife and she out of love with him. I don't know, I'm not privy to their inner feelings and I don't think you or anyone else along here is either. We could speculate and blog for hours and not be close to being right.
    Point to the thread is, in my opinion, professional athletes are better off if they wait to marry after their careers are over.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why exactly are you segregating athletes from the rest of society? Yet another example of why athletes feel entitled, because rather than treating them like a cross-section of society you say they are "special." They are not.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Speculate? On a message board?

She said in the story that this was a real marriage to her. Say what you want about what we don't know, but I'm pretty sure she still loved him. And he probably "loved" her too, but also loved his worldwide entitlement nookie. And not every wife gives that a free pass, shockingly.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1) I always read that he "humilated" her. I read that about Sandra Bullock, as well. Seriously, in what way was she "humilated"? Elin has nothing to be humiliated about. She did nothing wrong. The only person who Tiger Woods humiliated was Tiger Woods. Elin has nothing to apologize for, and doesn't have to justify herself to anybody.

2) I understand, rationally, why Drip thinks athletes should wait until after their careers to marry. But falling in love isn't like buying stocks. It's not a coldly rational decision. You meet that person at age 25, you hold on to them. You don't just let them walk because it doesn't fit the itinerary. You don't choose love, love chooses you, typically. I can't imagine the regret I would feel today had I just let my wife walk early on because the timing wasn't right for me. I'd never get over it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

You are correct. They are not special. They are able to do special things which makes them special in the eyes of many.
    You can use the same logic for any profession, but I'm specifically giving my take on what I think is best for a pro athlete. You can agree or disagree. Either way is cool.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tiger's wife is making the rounds.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5495563

Making the rounds? One interview.

Sorry, but the point to your thread was "Watch out, fellas, or after your endless bareback infidelities with every pancake house skank and dirty leg event planner in the western world - which risk her health as well as yours - your wife might talk to a magazine."

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Charlie was banging everything he can get his hands on by the time he's 16. Like grandfather-father like son.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

@Playthrough, obviously she didn't want to look past his mistakes and she has the right to do so.
    @Dick, You are right on in your observations. You're right about love chosing you and you not chosing love. I'm glad things worked out for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted