1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason blog entries should be edited before posting.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Nov 26, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

jfs, no intent to rip bloggers, but it shows that there should be copy editors worried about this sort of stuff.

Would it really matter if a copy editor took 30 seconds to read the blog before it was posted? Would it harm the blogger to call the "blog desk" (my creation of a term) and say, "I filed, can you proofread it please?"

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm calling bullshit on this one. EVERYTHING with your organization's name on it -- or your name on it -- reflects on your organization and the person who wrote it. Blog or otherwise.

If you don't have five minutes to correct easy spelling mistakes that no able bodied person out of sixth grade has any excuse to make, you shouldn't work for a newspaper or a Web site.

3. Jims242

Jims242 Member

I'm with FT on this. Man, I spellcheck my blog, I read it out loud to myself and, when I check it 30 minutes after I post, I correct any stupid stuff I missed. Mistakes, especially in my own copy, drive me insane. I don't need any help with work stuff to drive me insane.

4. Mira

Mira Member

A peer of mine wrote redshit freshman when he was blogging and it was posted. I think all bloggers should take more time editing their copy before posting it.

If it takes 10 minutes to type your blog, spend 15 editing it, IMO.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Editing is fine and all, but I think those freshmen need to get checked out by the team physician, pronto.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not DocTalk (sometimes I play him on television)...but, I think that could be serious.

Draft saved Draft deleted