1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason blog entries should be edited before posting.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Nov 26, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From the Redskins' blog on the Sean Taylor incident:

A college-educated person should be able to re-read his/her copy and pick out three basic spelling errors -- heck, Firefox points them out to me with the red lines underneath. No, they're not major mishaps, but it devalues the product when you log onto a major paper's Web site, and they can't spell "neighborhood" correctly.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Teacher the blogger how to use spellcheck before posting.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed. Our blogs do not have a spell-check feature. Go figure. But just write them on word and then check 'em.

However, I've also been in a position in which I felt sooooo pressured to get the item up as quickly as possible that I didn't write first on word and then check. Had to go back ASAP and fix a typo.

Our desk folks won't even edit stuff that runs online only, much less blog items.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it's a blog, I would think the desk wouldn't have the access to edit it.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

you can easily set up blogs so that multiple people have access.

6. Indeed. The blog I write has a spellcheck feature that will, at times, stall out in the middle of its checking. If that happens, I literally cut and paste the blog into a Word doc and run spellcheck there. Because nothing undercuts a good point better than letting one "teh coach said" into the post.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who cares about these tiny details. You all are just jelous.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

His recap includes this sentence:

Heck, if he'd just use Firefox the "thight" would be flagged.

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

10. Ha! Just watched that one yesterday.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Leave the guy alone. The blog is supposed to be stream of consciousness and quick.

I am sensitive to this, because I misspell everything on my blog. Of course, if I catch it, I edit it. But a lot of time I don't even read over the post. It's short-hand and kind of like talking out loud.

I can't spend 15 minutes editing a 5 minute blog entry that was written quickly.

Yes, we should have no typos, but give the guy a break. Sometimes people write too fast.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

If it takes you 15 minutes to edit a five-minute blog entry, then you need more help than spellcheck. Have some baseline standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted