1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another question about cover letters...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 29, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'll keep this brief:

If a paper is looking for a writer, copy editor, what have you, but don't give a name to send it to, how do you start off with your cover letter? Starting with "To whom it may concern" sets off alarms in my head and in my train-of-thought, an opening like that will send you straight to the can. What's the best way to work around this? Oh, BTW, the shop that's looking said to e-mail a cover letter and resume, no calls. The contact was HR.

Thanks for any help, guys 'n gals.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Good morning:
    Or Good day:

That's what I've always used when there was no contact listed.

3. Call the newspaper and ask. It's what reporters do.

It also gives you an excuse to ask some other questions and throw your name around a bit. Never use "to whom it may concern." Know your audience.

4. Oops, just read the part where of the post that says no calls. I'd definitely email then. Still gets your name on their radar and you know who you're writing to.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wait, wait, wait ...

"No calls" is one thing. But you should be able to call up and say, "I understand you have a job opening for a xxxx xxxx. Who should the cover letter be addressed to?"

If that constitutes a "call" at that place, then I probably wouldn't want to work for somebody who's so screwed up.

6. Good point.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

And if you don't mention your name when you do, they'll never know it was you breaking the "no calls" rule.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

And if they do ask for your name, just say "Brook Jacoby, Hungry Horse News" and hang up.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Would Larry Doyle or Ron Mexico also be a good alias?

Draft saved Draft deleted