1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Alex Kimball of the Los Angeles Times has been named NFL senior editor for ESPN.com.

Alex has spent the past 10 years at the Times as an assistant sports editor and, for the last three months, a web deputy editor for sports. He also worked for the San Jose Mercury News, Newsday and The National Sports Daily.

Alex is a graduate of Occidental College and Greenwich (Conn.) High School, where he was one year behind Trey Wingo and two behind Steve Young. He says he was only occasionally mistaken for them.

His wife, Carolyn, is a freelance editor and former features copy editor at the Mercury News and the Times.
    They have three children, Luke (, Rafe (6) and Piper (18 months).

Alex will start in late July. Please welcome him aboard then.

John Banks

Sr. Deputy editor-NFL

ESPN.com

2. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Man... I was expecting to get a call too. Damn. So much for my no years of experience. I love being a college grad :-/

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

PA Trainee program my friend.

4. Moderator1

And more, though I don't think these are surprises:

You’ll soon notice two new bylines on the site and on Hashmarks, our NFL blog.

Kevin Seifert, formerly of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, joined us today. Until the NFL blog network is up and running next month, Kevin will blog and write columns. He covered the Vikings the past eight years for the Star-Tribune.

Next week, Paul Kuharsky, formerly of the Nashville Tennessean, will join us. He covered the Oilers/Titans and the NFL for The Tennessean for the past 12 years.

Kevin and Paul will be here Thursday for a blog summit.

John Banks

Sr. Deputy editor-NFL

ESPN.com

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Interesting (I think) tidbit about these writing and editing NFL positions: They are three-year contracts.

Good for a person for the first two years; I'd be awful nervous in year 3.

6. Moderator1

Don't suck. Can't suck in your walk year.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

As opposed to staying in a newspaper job, where we get to be nervous every day of every week of every month of every year? I'd take a three-year contract in a heartbeat right about now.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the contracts are two with an option.

Yeah, I know ESPN is swimming in money, but at some point they're going to realize they're paying an insane amount of money to a bunch of guys who write a few times a week for the web site.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I knew they wanted a beat writer for each division, but don't recall any mention of a "blog network." Hash has a tendency to get overloaded with new posts, though, so giving each division its own page would probably be an improvement.

First Legwold, now Kuharsky? Tennessean has lost a lot of their Titans history in the last couple of years, no?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kuharsky is very good, but I don't think their coverage has been the same since Legwold went to Denver.

11. somewriter

somewriter Member

I need to go to a blog summit.

Draft saved Draft deleted