1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The Raleigh News & Observer backed off gameday coverage when they both fell under the McClatchy umbrella.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm sure the N&O is simply running the Charlotte Observer's Panthers stuff.

You've got to love working for ESPN and not having to live in Bristol.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Nice perk.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Then there's not working for ESPN and not living in Bristol. That's not so bad, either.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

when was the last time a big name writer/reporter/columnist switched papers ... instead of switching from a paper to a web site?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Actually, the N&O did work the Panthers beat for a few years with Viv Bernstein, but eventually did away with the beat and used Darin Gantt's stuff down in Rock Hill.

So now ... does the Observer move Stan Olson up, use Gantt's work or in no particular order make them the 1-2 writers? Stay Tuned.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

My guess is Charlotte negotiates something with Rock Hill for Gantt. If Gantt wants to do it. I think he's fielded overtures from Charlotte in the past. Could be wrong, though.

8. lono

lono Active Member

When was the last time a big-name newspaper sought to improve coverage and not just cut costs?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Also, how many of these big names who are going to ESPN, Sportsline, Yahoo, SI ... are being replaced?

I hope these guys are all getting three-year contracts. The majority of the guys being hired are top notch, but I can't help but wonder if in a year or so, ESPN is going to look at what it's spending and just start letting some people go...

I can't believe they have a need for all of these people...

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny, that's what The CEO said to The Publisher about Their Editors' Newsroom. About a thousand times in a hundred places in 2007.

11. This won't be the last man/woman to ESPN.com. A friend of mine talked with them about a gig and says they're hiring people to cover every division in the NFL and every major conference in college football. They're all contract hires -- a couple years with options -- but there will be more names coming before long.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Here's Pat's farewell column:

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/433917.html

Draft saved Draft deleted