1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another newspaper pro headed online -- Chris Walsh off to Rivals.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Aug 26, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, let's judge a job by how the team did in its last bowl game. You've got to be kidding.

I'm having an increasingly hard time seeing the newspaper vs. fanboi site dilemma anymore. If Walsh found out that the grass was greener, and the money was better, who's going to fault him for taking it? Well obviously some people here, but not me. The playing field is changing and shrinking in this profession.

And I don't know Chris or anything about the beat. EDIT: Though I did enjoy "No Time Outs".

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I agree. What the hell does the quality of the team, not to mention the outcome of one game, have to do with your quality of life as a beat writer? I guess I can understand being less than enthused about having to cover loss after loss, although win after win isn't much more interesting.

If he's getting a raise out of the deal, and I'm sure he is, then good for him. And good for whoever gets to replace him on that beat.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I worked with Chris several years ago. Good guy and sounds like a good move.

Congrats to him.

4. Thanks for posting, guy who Chris either beat out for the Rivals gig or the Tuscaloosa job!

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Obviously Chris didn't leave the beat, just left the paper. So the argument that the beat was horrible (at least in Chris' eyes)doesn't hold water if he will just be writing for another company. There are a lot of worse jobs posted than Tuscaloosa.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I get a lot, and I know others who get even more. Some days, the inbox is full of messages that leave you drop-jawed.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I would guess covering Nick Saban is a much bigger (negative) factor.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Don't know either Chris or the paper, but what is of some concern is the increasing blurring between the traditional and fan-based reporting models. The more that line is moved (or goes away), the less value objective reporting has and the less chance of this remaining a valued career for more than a select (lucky) few.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good for Chris. I think it would be wise for anybody in this industry to jump ship from print to online if they had the opportunity.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Depends how you look at it. I would rather cover an asshole coach who is always in the public eye on a high-profile beat than a coach who is easy to deal with on a low-profile beat where few care.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's see... More money, more resources and you don't have to move?

Also, if you believe the rumors, the NYT chain is about to be hit really, really hard.

I'm guessing this was a very easy decision for Mr. Walsh. Congrats to him.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Not to mention some of his, ahem, superiors.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted