1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another NASCAR writer off the tour

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Jan 7, 2013.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

RBMA got back to me rather promptly. Their NASCAR page content will start coming from the Daytona paper.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hello. Nice to meet you. Now you do.

That was my case in 2008. I agreed to stay the extra two weeks they requested because I really didn't have anything else pressing to do. I also freelanced for them on and off for about a year before moving out of the area.

I know there are mixed feelings about doing that and I think it just comes down to each person's individual situation.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder how many papers have writers that travel with the car racing or golf tours anymore.

Seems the trend is if you have a tour stop in your area or a place close by, you might cover that event and get some material to do features. Or if you have a driver or golfer you follow all year long, maybe do some things on them by phone or email. But it seems like the days of having a full-timer travel with the tour from place to place all season are over, because you can get the event stuff from AP anyway. Would be curious to know if anyone does that anymore?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Howdy. dot com in 1998 -- ironically, an auto racing website and BCK can verify it.... company was sold to The Sporting News and my boss was kind enough to tell me I wasn't part of the future (and he wouldn't be six weeks later), and although I wasn't going forward, he expected me to continue working the next two weeks -- which I did because I needed the money.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

This is not the news I wanted to see coming off of vacation. Damn. Love Monte to death.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

ESPN.com or another outlet would be wise to get him doing some freelance gigs.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Awful news, and Freedom (mis)handling of this helps nothing.

We all deserve better when news like this hits. Especially someone like Monte who has done a lot over the years. Never met the man, but heard enough stories about the guitar in the parking lot. Worse, another huge chunk of institutional knowledge that could go missing on a circuit that can always use it (could ... maybe ESPN or someone else with a position and some proactive thoughts could keep Monte on the road if he so chooses at that point).

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

There is a very lengthy list of motrosports journalists I would like to employ right now. Unfortunately I only have the budget for the ones I already have. And I am very happy that I have more than one, or for that matter, five.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is correct.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very sad to hear. Monte, and Poole for that matter, were rare breeds in Nascar media centers -- guys who covered the sport with knowledge but also with tongue firmly planted in cheek for all the bullcrap that comes out of racetracks and teams and drivers.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure you would need more than two hands to list traveling writers for racing and golf at newspapers (I'd define "traveling" as hitting more than half the events on the schedule). In Florida, all the big papers used to have golf writers and now there's only one, Garry Smits in Jacksonville, and he doesn't travel much outside the state.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very disheartening news.

Draft saved Draft deleted