1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another music thread: Songs that should have been huge but weren't

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Hey, is it too late to dig this thing out of the trash?

Driving back from Pa. this morning, I was reminded of a few songs (and somehow this thread kept bouncing around in my brain).

Pepper from the Butthole Surfers. Heard it on radio a few times during my final high school days, but never enough. Fortunately, I had the good sense to immortalize it in the side saddle. (And dear Lord, how I wish there was a Mt. Yuengling.)

I was also struck by hearing "Sweetness" from Jimmy Eat World and "No One Knows" from Queens of the Stone Age; both of them were on the playlist of NHL 2003. But the best song on there was a rarity on radio: "Pitiful" from Blindside.

, though apparently they went to the
    of video production.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm going to give a big nod to Bubbler's earlier selection of "Rain" by the Beatles...

I was floored by that song when I bought the Past Masters Vol. II CD... Didn't know there was a Beatles song like that out there I hadn't heard of...

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Welcome to the Boomtown -- David and David.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Also from Rush:
    Dreamline
    Marathon
    Witch Hunt (dark theme ... but thought still stands)

In addition:
    "Many Too Many" - Genesis
    "Heathaze" - Genesis
    "A Call To Arms" - Mike and The Mechanics
    "She's Right On Time" - Billy Joel
    "Running On Ice" - Billy Joel
    "Blonde Over Blue" - Billy Joel
    "Pinky" - Elton John
    "I've Seen The Saucers" - Elton John
    "One Day At A Time" - Elton John

5. pallister

pallister Guest

"Indian Sunset" is my favorite EJ song; I've never heard it on radio.

6. Sam Mills 51

Nice get. And, while we're on "Madman Across The Water," I completely whiffed on "Razor Face."

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I'd put that third behind Madman, but damn is that a great CD. I'm not sure how many people relaize Elton John made that kind of music. Much of his popular stuff kinda sucks.

8. Sam Mills 51

I'd disagree ... a good bit of his popular stuff is more than passable.

But going back to get those albums up to about the mid-1970s - when MCA held he and Bernie Taupin to basically a two-album-per-year deal - is where the real jewels reside.

People know about "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" for the well-known tunes. But what about "Grey Seal," "I've Seen That Movie Too," "The Ballad of Danny Bailey," "All the Young Girls Love Alice" and "Harmony"? Cripe, there's a pile of good stuff right there. Then "Captain Fantastic ... " and "Madman" and ... yeah, EJ's pre-drug days saw some amazing work and a lot more consistent, when the compilations were pretty much good enough.

9. Pretty much the entire NIN album, Pretty Hate Machine.

That CD is solid from front to back; not a bad song on it. Particularly Head Like a Hole (which I guess is the only song on the CD that was big), Santified and Something I Can Never Have.

Downward Spiral is a solid CD, but not the album NIN should be remembered for. Pretty Hate Machine was made in the 80s and still sounds fresh nearly 20 years later...simply revolutionary. Up there with PJ's "Ten" and Tupac's "Me Against the World" as the best album of the past 20 years.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Wilco: "Jesus Etc." and "I'm the Man Who Loves You" with a nice radio edit that cuts out the noise at the end

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Great call. I wonder if the reference to someone dealing dope at a Denny's hurt it--that maybe Denny's had threatened legal action behind the scenes. For that matter, D&D's followup single, Ain't So Easy, deserved a better fate, too.

Also from the 1980s: Discipline of Love was the first single off Robert Palmer's Riptide, and I liked it better than the overplayed Addicted to Love. ... After the Fall was released way too late off Journey's Frontiers. ... That's the Way by Katrina and the Waves was much better than Walking on Sunshine, which had been released three years earlier, but I guess the Billboard gods decided to even the score. ... Always the Sun by the Stranglers should have crossed over from alternative to pop.

Oh, and I agree with Shottie [Possession--Sarah McLachlan] and Sam Mills [Dreamline--Rush].

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Do You Want Crying" and "Que Te Quiero" were two other singles from Katrina and the Waves first album that should have been huge hits.

Draft saved Draft deleted