1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Manning brother?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

At the start of the Colts-Giants game, when the cameras first showed the Manning parents, they also showed a third Manning son. Funny line when Al Michaels said something to the effect that the third son, Cooper, is "successful in his own right" ... Huh? What is he Peyton's and Eli's agent? an assistant PR flak to Archie Manning? A newspaper journalist?

2. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was once told by a friend who went to high school with Eli that Cooper is a car salesman down in Louisiana.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There was a great article about Cooper Manning in SI a few years back... a great ballplayer, but developed some kind of medical condition.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

As I recall, he was a decent -- not great -- wide receiver.

A 2004 St. Pete Times story says Cooper works ``trading oil and gas stocks for an energy research firm with the decidedly unsnappy name of Howard Weil, Labouisse and Friedrichs Inc.'' Wikipedia says the same thing. Thanks, Google.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know but he's automatically my favorite Manning.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Can you 'develop' a 'congenital' condition, since 'congenital' means 'present at birth'? :D

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Supposedly Cooper is hilarious. I think Gene W wrote a story about him a few years ago on espn.com. And one of my good friends has worked with him fairly closely in the trading business, Cooper does do oil and gas trading, and said his team loved it when he came in town.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cooper was a wide receiver. He played at Ole Miss before that back condition someone else knew how to spell ended his football career. He does trade oil and gas stocks and he is supposedly pretty successful at it. If you call Archie about a story about Peyton or Eli, or both, he will always bring up Cooper and be sure to tell you about how he's proud of all his son's. Same thing with Peyton. Bring up Eli in a football context, and he'll bring Cooper into it.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Let's get scientific here.

Google returns 4,950,000 hits for Cooper, 3,790,000 for Peyton, and 2,570,000 for Eli.

10. Cooper's definitely the funny one.
    Supposedly, he went with Peyton on the latter's recruiting trip to Notre Dame and is still somewhat legendary for wreaking havoc among the ladies of the Dome.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Cooper is mentioned in the Sports Illustrated story last week on his brothers. It said somebody once asked Archie who was his favorite son, Peyton or Eli, and he said Cooper "because he has the grandchildren."

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the story also says cooper never played at ole miss. says he was supposed to play but didn't.

and i assume the problem degenerated into something that kept him out of football

Draft saved Draft deleted