1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Little League parent gone amok

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 27, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Check the mug shot. This guy is almost as scary as Mr. Tatoo-head who capped the prison guard last week and got arrested after a shoot-out.

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1269301.html

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Under Little League rules, only individuals who have cleared a background check are supposed to be in the dugout during games. Why was this loser anywhere near the dugout?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Great detail in that story. Some people just don't get it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Notice you never see him and Tom Amstutz in the same place at the same time....

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I played, many of the parents -- including my own -- were extremely miffed at the head coach because of the lack of playing time six kids on the all-star team were getting. Eventually, they waited for the coach after the game was over and the coach resigned. That, to some regard, is OK from where I stand.

But never did a parent yell at a kid for making a mistake or for getting more playing time. At least not in public.

I'm not a parent -- as far as I know -- but I don't see how anger like this due to a Little League game can build.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That was OK? Parents "waiting" for a coach and essentially forcing him to resign? That's OK?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, it's night like they flagged the coach down at his house. As soon as our game was done, a parent asked if the coach had a few minutes to talk. I remember listening to some of it 12 years ago. No voices were raised, and it was pretty civil. I thought that was acceptable, considering the parents were paying ridiculous dues for the summer ball.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Your clarification added quite a bit more than was in your original post, hence my question.

9. off topic, but ...

I had this whacked out American Legion coach. We all liked him, he was a good coach, but we knew his wife was insane and we were vaguely aware of a strange home life.

One day -- in the middle of a game -- the local police showed up at our field, and he went over and spoke to them in hushed tones for half a minute or so.

He walked over to the assistant coach, who was a former player only a few years older than us, told him he was in charge, and left.

We never saw him again.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

That ol' boy should probably start eating more salads.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll try better the next time.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This is the time of year when these people really get creepy. Seasons are starting to end (so all of the playing-time issues boil over), all-star teams are being picked (so somebody's being snubbed) and tournaments are starting (when teams are eliminated, it's the coach's fault or the umpire's fault). Oh, and it's when we really start hearing the "Why aren't you covering Little League?" calls.

Draft saved Draft deleted