1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Liberal Fall From Grace Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What does Senator Ted Stevens have to say about it?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I know you can't judge a book by its cover and all.

But I knew this guy was a philanderer the first time I saw him. He just has that look.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, for those practicing a delightful piece of revisionist history in re: Newt.

He resigned because the Republican caucus was likely to dethrone him as speaker. That came after the 1998 elections, 17 years after he divorced his first wife (his former high school geometry teacher) after having an affair. She was in fact afflicted with cancer.

The SECOND affair was with the Congressional aide while he was pursuing Clinton's impeachment. He divorced Wife No. 2 in 2000 and married aide, 33. They remain married, a fact in which I'm sure she takes great comfort. As she's now over 40, I'm sure he's making shopping plans again.

So, yes, he resigned. No, it wasn't because of the affairs. No, he didn't "go away."

5. bshriane

bshriane Guest

I would usually say "big deal," the guy doesn't hold office anymore or anything and jeez, Larry Craig was doinking dudes in the bathroom -- allegedly -- and Vitter, whores ... but, man, your wife has cancer. And he paid his mistress $114,000 for a job she wasn't qualified to do? And he might have fathered a child with the cougar? Yikes!

6. times38

times38 Member

Probably lots of incomplete sentences.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking more like a suspended sentence, considering his age.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To be fair, according to his wife, the affair took place while she was in remission. Doesn't really make it any better, nor does it mean that he's not still lying to her about when he had the affair, or that she's lying about the timing, but it's actually not fair to say he cheated on his wife while she was battling cancer.

I also doubt that he intended to father a child.

It's still an immensely shitty thing to do, no matter what.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the running tally of Democrats having affairs as opposed to Republicans having affairs in now 1 million to 1 million.

They're all fucking scumbags...liberals, conservatives, democrats, republicans, independents, libertarians, socliaists. It does not matter.

Every human being in a position of some power has had/is having an affair or multiple affairs.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A politician can't find or lead an honest life elsewhere.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

was he tapping his foot in a bathroom stall waiting for a hobo to come blow him off for $20?

Draft saved Draft deleted