1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another journalist rages against the machine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EnZona, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

True, but with each passing year "cover" at many newspapers means less and less of what used to make me proud to work at a newspaper. Budget cuts at some of the papers I've worked has reduced "cover" to "rewrite this" or "fill the hole." In some places we're losing our journalistic high ground almost as fast as Louisiana is losing its coastline to erosion.

I agree her rant is a bit like rubbing perfume on a pig, but I still applaud her if she was sincere.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Regardless, I got a good laugh out of it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That was ... something.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think it started as a joke, but she was clearly angry during the last hour of the broadcast...The guy threw to her, she basically ignored him and just started reading about the Senator challenging Bush in Iraq.

A joke gone awry.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Elliotte, have you ever seen anything similar?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Oh boy, have I ever.

Canadian SportsJournalists.com will remember this very well: Dave Hodge was the host of HNIC before Ron MacLean, the current guy. Hodge was one of my idols growing up, a talented, talented broadcaster.

(Quick story. Hodge was once doing a segment with hated Leafs owner Harold Ballard. Ballard was mad at Toronto Sun columnist Jim Hunt. and, live on air, called him, "Jim whose last name ends in 'unt' and starts with one of the first three letters of the alphabet." Very classy.

Hodge, without missing a beat, says, "You mean Jim Bunt?"

Ballard looks at him and says, "Nice try, but you're off by one letter."

I was watching that live. It was brilliant.)

Anyway, Hodge was God in this country, as the host of HNIC usually is. In March 1987, he was hosting and the Toronto game finished early, so the telecast was switched to Philadelphia-Montreal. Regulation ended 3-3, and they cut back to the studio before the commercial break leading into overtime. Hodge thought they would be coming back for the extra time, but it was about 10:58 and CBC executives wanted the news to start at 11.

Hodge is on-air saying we'll be back for the OT, when, obviously, the producer comes in his ear and says there will be news and no OT. Hodge, who is usually as deadpan as it gets, gets this surprised look on his face, rips the decision and says something along the lines of, "we're going to find out who makes the decisions around here." Then, as the camera was fading, he angrily flipped his pen into the air.

He never hosted HNIC again. It was a huge story.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dave Hodge is great on The Reporters on Sunday morning. I'm still waiting for Damien Cox to deck Steve Simmons. :)

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Dave Hodge is the ONLY one good on the Reporters

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

That was terrific. Good for her, I say. I don't know if it was staged or not, but it was definitely entertaining.

10. Is The Reporters the Canuckistan version of The Sports Reporters and, if it is, I would like to apologize on behalf of the United States of America for foisting that format on our neighbors to the north.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The Hodge/CBC incident is one of the most memorable moments of sports journalism history in Canada. I think that there is a level of professionalism that has to be brought on air, whether reporters like executive decisions or not. I wonder if this incident played a role in how HNIC comes on now. The first game (normally Leafs) then the start of the second game, a new update at midnight and then the remainder of the second game.

This incident also reminds me of the Rather/US Open incident. I agree that Hodge is a "deadpan".

JR, I would pay for a ring match between Cox and Simmonds. Poor Simmonds can't get an easy break. He was voted as the ugliest Canadian sports journalist.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

And he should be voted "shittiest," too.

I loved last month when all his Sundin rumours and sources were nothing but bunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted