1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another head-scratcher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Apr 19, 2011.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

One of the main purposes of any sort of opinion or commentary piece in our business is to stoke the passions of folks on all sides of the issues, with the realization there will be plenty of name calling.

Obviously, as seen on this website, mission accomplished. Ho-hum.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh, I misread. The pitcher was there. The writer is the douche. Got it.

Well I feel bad for the stepchild he "raised" for 8 years.

3. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

A Dallas-area freelance journalist/blogger lays the smack down:
    http://hayladies.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/dallas-sports-columnist-displeased-with-pitchers-decision-to-do-a-totally-normal-thing/

The deconstruction:

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

That's excrement.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

FWIW, the guy is getting ripped in the comments.

6. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player missing a start to see the birth of a child. However, if this was the postseason I would lose a lot of respect for a player if they missed a game for that reason.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Curious how many reporters would miss covering a game for the birth of your child? If it's the WS, does that make it OK? I'm assuming that the Dallas writer would have no problem neglecting his family.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Dallas writer probably isn't making $10,000 per article, Brad.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He had a note in a column from Friday addressing it one last time:

Yeah, great, you just go do that. I don't know about others here, but I've had two kids in the last six-plus years and it was a pain in the ass to get time off to be at either birth or have a few days afterward. When my first son was due, the paper I was at was especially hard headed. It was ridiculous in this day and age, and it's obviously still a battle for men to be equal partners in the parentling world. This columnist's hypocrisy further proves that.

Of course he'd go see the birth of his child, and just because someone is in the spotlight doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to do so. Shit, it's just a baseball game. Can you imagine telling your kid down the road that you missed his birth to be a part of a seven-hit no decision in April?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm sure that's just how he'd put it, too.

"In retrospect, son, I wish I'd been there for your delivery. I mean, I didn't get a decision."

(If you're going to make the argument, don't go out to ridiculous extremes.)

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Ridiculous extremes are the lifeblood of this board.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Who are we saying is going to ridiculous extremes? If it's me, this columnist set it up for such. It's a ridiculous thought, which opens it up to such scenarios. If the pitcher had chosen to make his start instead be at the birth of his child I guaran-damn-tee you he'd have to answer why he wasn't there and his kid may not understand. My kids, even at a young age, have already been curious about their birth stories. Do you think it would be better if it was a one-hit win?

Draft saved Draft deleted