1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another head-scratcher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Apr 19, 2011.

1. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

From a Dallas Observer blog posting.

"In Game 2, Colby Lewis is scheduled to start after missing his last regular turn in the rotation because -- I'm not making this up -- his wife, Jenny, was giving birth in California. To the couple's second child."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2011/04/welcome_back_to_earth_texas_ra.php

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

"Departures? Totally get it because at a funeral you're saying goodbye to someone for the last time. But an arrival is merely saying hello to someone you'll see the rest of your life."

Oof. I can't imagine something that wouldn't have kept me from being with my wife when she gave birth. Then again, it wasn't something as mundane as our second child, just our first.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What a fantastically asshole observation from this guy.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anybody who misses the birth of a child by choice, is a complete douchebag.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe in the old days there wasn't enough "interest" in why a player wasn't in a lineup or whatnot - but you do seem to hear about more players (mostly basketball and baseball) taking personal days to attend funerals, visit a sick relative etc. than you used to. I always figured players should plan their families around the season, or induce the kid so it didn't interfere with what was REALLY important (to me) - whether they played or not.

Or maybe it's just the Family Leave Act

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Used to be they'd just say the guy was out with the stomach flu.

Or maybe that's what they said when a guy was hungover. Can't remember.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Cmon, this isn't just anybody. This a pitcher with a truly mediocre career missing an April start. There are only like 161 other games or around 30 more starts he can make. Clearly he can't afford to miss that for a kid, especially a second one. Second kid's births are the most overrated sort. Priorities man. #sarcasm

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Is it possible the post is sarcasm? Really just a dig on Shane Battier for skipping his child's birth to play the other day (hence the link at the end)?

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

If it's sarcasm, it's poorly written sarcasm. If you're going to make a joke like that, you have to go a lot further than this writer did or else your readers may never forgive you for it.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think he's pointing to Battier as a good example.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is just some guy's rag on a blog for some rag.

Draft saved Draft deleted