1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another "Get Out" Thread . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 2, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My original idea was to go into hotel-restaurant management. Looking back, I would have hated it.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Engineering. A major shortage, especially for those who speak English as their native language. Engineering grads from the local land-grant school always have jobs that pay very well.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

One of two:

1) Computer science. Hell, I'm considering a return to the classroom to catch up on that anyway.

2) Engineering. Probably civil engineering.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

told ya so.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think engineering is probably something you really need to have the interest in and aptitude for the get through. Don't want slackoffs and the algebra-impaired building bridges.

With computer science you can muddle through and work just about anywhere and fake it and still give as good a service as most IT guys.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Meteorology..... probably not good looking enough to be Jim Cantore or Stephanie Abrams.. but it would be cool working for NOAA or the hurricane center

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My wife's a nurse, and if I knew then what I know now (and also didn't pass out when I see blood) I'd go into nursing. It's basically the anti-journalism -- huge demand, excellent pay and benefits, flexible hours.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I majored in Meteorology before the Calculus and Physics got to me and I decided to change majors.

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Nursing.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Strictly from a job money/security standpoint, nursing is the answer. But I never could have made it that, just no real interest.

Personally, I would have gotten a bachelor's in economics with an eye towards law school.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funeral planner.

A entire demographic will want to micro-manage their final party.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can do that now. All you need is a lisp, a turkey waddle and a brown suit Adolph Rupp would have been ashamed to wear.

Draft saved Draft deleted