1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another F'ing movie about an underdog white guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 9, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm a little surprised our crowd isn't as familiar with this story as it might be. Papale, as I recall, played a good bit, and his story was pretty well-chronicled.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I saw it today.

Very good little film.

The movie has Carmichael as 6" taller than Papale.... as was the case in real life.

There has never been a sports movie made that hit so many little details that movies always skip over.

Mike Quick's voice is in the movie as radio analyst.

Kinnear nails another role, too.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They tracked down Kyra Phillips' sister-in-law, huh?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't have time to look for the ESPN.com "Reel Life" article about it, but "Glory Road" was another that got pretty Disney-fied on the facts.

Still a great movie. Josh Lucas was treee-mendous.

But they fudged a few things. Hard not to notice.

(On the same token, I'm glad they *couldn't* get too Disney-fied with "Miracle" because the story was SO well-known. Made for a much better movie. The best of the Disney sports movies, IMO.)

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's why they call it "ACTING"

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I was struck at how the Cowboys in Invincible wore a red stripe as the third stripe over the top of their helmets for the 1976 opener, instead of the traditional second blue stripe.

The names all matched uniform numbers on the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants.....

And the recreation of the Vet had some nice touches, like the Liberty Bell at the top of the rim.

I love when a movie takes that sort of care.

Draft saved Draft deleted