1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ESPN dispute with MLB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Man, I thought that article was true until I read the above line.

Stop posting things on here that come from theonion.com!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

MLB's unending arrogance is astounding.

I look forward to the delay of the start of a World Series game this year to announce the all-time bat-boy team presented by MasterCard.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Maybe this is ESPN's way of getting back at MLB after they (ESPN) released the All-Star list without waiting for TBS to finish the Braves' game in July?

Either way, fuck both of them. They can :-* my ass.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It seems ESPN has relented. On the highlights of the Rockies-Padres game on SportsCenter and on the continuous loop on ESPN News, the WWL is promoting the division series games being on TBS.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

No, they courtesy whomever had the game.
    Also, that advertising sign behind the plate? Nothing they can do about it.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I can understand fully why ESPN feels this way. Why would they promote a competitor? That's like CTV promoting CBC's Olympic Coverage.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm talking about after the highlights, when they put up the score/stats graphic. It lists Rockies at Phillies on Wednesday on TBS and on ESPN Radio AND the on-set announcer says, paraphrasing, "You can see all the division series games on TBS."

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, ok, I see what you mean now.
    Looks like they did come to an agreement.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

And where can we find these miniature meat grinders?

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

What's wrong with you people?

What other network would allow a competing network to set up their studio inside the stadium where they have full access?

ESPN has no right to even be on the grounds of the stadium. They don't have rights to the field. As a courtesy allowing ESPN to do that, they promo baseball.

Also, I think ESPN has done a bad job overall with baseball. I couldn't find the Phillies, Rockies or Padres games at all the last week of the season. In past years, ESPN would have been all over these games and using it to promote the divisional series. So now, because they lost the rights to TBS, ESPN doesn't broadcast the games at the end of the regular season?

Are they allowing business decisions to affect editorial content? They should have had the Philly, Rockies and Padres game on ESPN2 on Sunday. I don't need to watch a rodeo.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If ESPN did cave, I'm disappointed. Who cares if they couldn't put studio sets at the venues?That's a small price to pay for not running ads for your competition and, more importantly, show that MLB can't shove it around.

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Somewhat related: Anyone else surprised that ATH (it's on mute, i swear) led with MNF? And one of those shows in the middle of the day (1st take?) led with MNF as well? If PTI does ...

Also, it's somewhat comical that the scroll only mentions where you can LISTEN to the baseball games - ESPN radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted