1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another eReader question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 2, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I buy two Amazon Kindle Fires when they come out -- one for me, one for my girlfriend -- and we subscribe to a couple of magazines, can we share the subscriptions -- the way when I have something I bought from Apple, it can be activated on several devices?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I have three Kindles - mine, my wife's, my daughter's. Everything we buy for one can be loaded onto the others. AND onto my iPad and phone.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is great news. I have an iPad, but its for business (development of ePubs) and it rarely leaves the office, so I don't actually use the thing, although I have a bunch of content and it will be nice if I can move it over to a Kindle or the Fire if I get one. I have been really resistant on this stuff. But we were just talking it over and at this price point it just seems like a no brainer. At first, I was thinking just the Kindle, because that Fire looks flawed to me and they are almost giving away the new Kindles. Great price on the Fire, but with just WiFi and the reliance on cloud space, and the fact that I am not going to sit and watch TV shows streaming on a device, I wasn't sure it made sense for me. But now I am thinking we can get some of those magazine subscriptions we have let lapsed, and if we can share an Economist or the Atlantic or New Yorker (and get rid of the print), the color version will be worth it for just $200. So I think I will get one for her and one for me, and now that you told me we can share magazine subscriptions I am really happy. Thanks.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So that's why you subscribe to the digital version of Tiger Beat? Blame it on the daughter. :)

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I believe there is a maximum number of devices that you can share material on - five, maybe?

Would be nice if Amazon would allow customers who already own early-gen Kindles to upgrade and get a discount. That would be outstanding customer service.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can't get much cheaper than $79.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I already own one, that was the point.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I agree. If they offered a $40/$50 discount or something, I assume it would be a huge incentive for people like you to upgrade and make you more inclined to do just that.

Draft saved Draft deleted