1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another eBay question - Now I want to sell.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Remember when I wanted to bid on that bag? I ended up getting the bag at a reputable outlet. I guess I was scared of fakes, as you guys advised me to be.

If you'll bear with me............ The bag I wanted retails for about $950. Now, I'm not an 'it' bag person, but I did fall in love with this for some reason. The bag was originally outlet priced at $600. Since I was having some reservations about eBay, I went to visit it the other day at the outlet, and it was half off. I then got an additional 20% off by opening a ____ credit card account, which I will be canceling shortly. So I got the bag for $275 (with tax) give or take. Not bad - happy birthday to me - let's keep it from Mr. Lugs for now, etc. etc. etc.

So I was scanning eBay and saw the exact same bag-- same color, also new with tags, mint condition-- just sold for $500.

I have to admit my heart did flutter a bit at the thought of making a quick $200 for doing what I love to do -- shop.

However, I'm not selling the bag. I love it too much.

But I do have a few things in my closet I'm interested in selling on eBay. I know, I know, I'm hardly the first to get this idea, and eBay fees are high right now... but it's either this or give the stuff away. And I'd like some coin to fill up my car.

Quick questions:

1) If I post the items, and they don't sell, do I have to pay irritatingly significant eBay fees?

2) Do I need to worry about sales tax?

3) eBay asks for a credit card to even register there! Do I have to? They say they want it to verify my identity. Really? Is this a concern? I seem to remember something about eBay and credit card problems a few years ago.

4) Any tips?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

1. You will have to pay a listing fee no matter what. There is an additional charge following the completion of the auction, a percentage of the winning bid. If the item does not sell, there is no additional charge.

2. I wouldn't worry about sales tax unless you're planning on reporting the income.

3. Have had my CC compromised once in four years of having an Ebay account. Not worried about it too much. You risk missing a level of trust from shoppers if your account is not verified by a CC.

4. Tips ... I have done lots on ebay. Just ask questions. I'll answer.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

If I ever pay $300 for a bag, you have permission to call up my dad, who will no doubt stop all he is doing, remove his belt and beat me senseless.

$300 for a bag, ... man, oh, man.

4. Lugnuts

Thank you, Flash. I was hoping you'd post since you said you're an avid eBay'er.

On the CC front, I don't want to buy with it, I just want to register there so I can post my stuff. Hopefully that's ok.

What's the best way to make a quick sale?

Is doing everything thru PayPal an ok way of doing this?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't know why, but PayPal scares me. What recourse do you have with them if things go south?

6. Lugnuts

CI: It was $275 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - I admit it was a lot, and I feel a little guilty about it. Maybe I should sell it....

markvid - eh, really? Oh hell's bells.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If you don't use paypal, what would you do? As an auction winner I have only dealt with one seller who didn't accept paypal, and that was a big pain.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No advice, Luggy. But is the offer to be my sugar mamma still out there?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Things go south with the seller/bidder?

Am currently in a dispute resolution with a seller. Am confident I will get my money back for the no-show of the item.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought she was going to be MY sugar momma.

11. Lugnuts

;D :D I'm not rich! I had a weak moment. No really... I once paid $375 for a pair of shoes (Hollywould for you ladies out there), and I've worn those shoes to every formal event, holiday party, wedding, baptism, bat mitzvah and awards dinner for the past 5 years. I put that dollar amount against all the crap shoes your wives and girlfriends have bought over the last 5 years for these sorts of events. I bet I spent less.

** And I know that because I've also spent my fair share on crap shoes. 8)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ragu needs a new pair of shoes ... and a little sugar, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted