1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another death row exoneration in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Get off the cross, Dickie.

Maybe you should donate some of your office hours to the cause.

2. That's what caught my eye as well.

How the hell did no one put this together?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Never had much respect for the legal profession.
    There are still wrongful convictions in an age of technology.
    So whose fault is it now?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where does one begin?

English common law.

The Framers of the United States Constitution.

I can't pin too much blame on those two, though. They did the best they could at the time.

More importantly: Any number of police, lawyers and judges since then. Any number of newspapers that send eight people to cover an NFL game and zero to follow up on a murder.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If the West Memphis 3 didn't move the public needle, then it's not going to be moved.
    This miscarriage could just as easily happen today, just without the execution.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/george-stinney-hearing/

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Is Shawshank on a loop somewhere?

I've never seen the word obtuse used more in the last two days than it has been here .....

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bernard Baran Jr., who spent 21 years in prison on child molestation charges that were overturned in 2006, has died, The Eagle learned on Wednesday.

<snip>

Baran, who is gay, was convicted in 1985 of sexually abusing five children at the Early Childhood Development Center in Pittsfield, where he worked at the time. His conviction came amid a nationwide hysteria involving child care sex abuse cases.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/ci_26460338/bernard-baran-cleared-child-molestation-charges-dead-at

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bit of a difference between getting a lawyer and cooperating and running away from the police, doncha think?

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Don't wanna be no motherfuckin' innocent bystander." ~ Richard Pryor

10. Dick Whitman

I suspect none of these 300-plus and counting repped themselves at trial.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you've not committed a crime and therefore are certain the police have no probable cause to detain/question you, you absolutely should blow off anything the police say to you (Stop!) or request of you (Can I see some ID?). Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll wind up confessing to a murder you didn't commit.

12. Dick Whitman

"What Ferguson shows is that the heart of the problem is (not big government, but), in fact, small government - the cops, prosecutors, and their bosses with an inflated sense of their powers. The great and growing threat to liberty comes from states and localities run amok." - Franklin Foer in The New Republic

Draft saved Draft deleted