1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another coverage question: Roller derby

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Precious Roy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Am I the only one who sees the AMAZON at the end of the line? Is she 7'12 ???

Edit: I just realized the other girls are on a knee.. oops

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Kate Upton realized if she knelt, she'd never be able to get her fat ass back up.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I won't cover a sport where everyone has an assumed name. We did run a story in our style-like section, and the team involved squealed like stuck pigs that it wasn't in sports, that it wasn't about their struggle, that it didn't go on about how awesome they were. In short, like soccer moms who discover a sport.

On the other hand, the woman at my desk said her roller derby name would be "Helen Killer," and I had to admit I liked that.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Metta World Peace, CP3 and RGIII agree.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But do they have match races?

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And my immediate thought is "Rubbin' is racing."

7. The nicknames are the best part of Roller Derby.
    I was always partial to Babe Ruthless.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

I can't believe I just saw this. Roller derby is 100 percent real this time around, no fixed bouts or fake injuries. There is a national organizing body, called Women's Flat Track Derby Association. A lot of local teams play regionally and can make a national tournament, held in November.

This year's winner was New York's Gotham Girls. The women who play train for real. One of the athletes was even featured in ESPN The Magazine. This sport is as worthy of coverage as any other. They draw thousands depending on the area. Why wouldn't you consider this a legit competition?

If anyone wants to DM me any questions about this, or needs contacts at the national level, please do.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A few days before I saw the Pacers play the Sixers at Indiana's home arena, Bankers Life Fieldhouse hosted roller derby. I heard the Milwaukee Bucks radio announcer talk about it beforehand when he was covering a Bucks-Pacers game, and he spent so long on it, I sensed he was disappointed he wasn't going to get to stick around to see it.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

JV football is real, unscripted, works hard and has organizing bodies.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My favorite name is Eva Fangoria. And I've seen the new roller derby on TV a couple of times. It's really hard to follow; there are hardly any slowdowns, much less stoppages; there are about 3-4 officials skating around along with the players, and players seem to be randomly pulled off for penalties; and it's about impossible to tell how they're crediting points. Unlike old-school roller derby, there was no significant fighting; it's kinda like Carnaval on skates.

And I've noticed, looking at a couple rosters, that several players talk about their domestic partners.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Dooley posted:

"And I've noticed, looking at a couple rosters, that several players talk about their domestic partners."

And what does that have to do with anything.

I see people in all sorts of jobs and situations talk about their domestic partners.

Oh, goodness, some of them are lesbians?

Draft saved Draft deleted