1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another columnist who can't write

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Blushing, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Blushing

Blushing Member

Jean-Jacques Taylor, the Dallas Morning News' replacement for Blackistone, just made his second offering in his new role, and in it he says "our country is full of folks who lay on psychologists' couches." Really?
    Is it too much to ask that a columnist be capable of writing a good sentence? Or that he at least know the difference between "lie" and "lay"? I can criticize Taylor's column for a variety of faults, from pointlessness to cliches, but it fails even at the most basic lie-lay level.
    Taylor and Cowlishaw will make quite a team.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If this bothers you so much, I think you should see a psychologist. Or at least get lied.

(It is clunky, besides disgrammatical).

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Well, at least he wrote about a local event, which is the direction of the DMN, it appears.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The difference between laid and lied never amounted to much for President Clinton, he was damn good at both.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[Rim shot]

He'll be here all week, folks!

6. You're a mother fucking idiot...Taylor's column was a breath of fresh air compared to Fraley, Blackistone and the rest of the meaningless drivel that has occupied that space.

His lede ID'd with readers and, although the writing not controversial....how can you be on a topic like this? Taylor made great points about how the situation was handled. His first couple of columns were decent starts and this one adds to that. Cowlishaw has had around six years to get that one column...Jacques will get there before he does and the guy's opinionated mean streak will come out at some point.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can't disagree with someone without calling them a motherfucking (one word, not two) idiot?
    Your whole argument is lost when you start like that.
    I mean, it ain't that hard.

8. Well I didn't know it was one word. I just hate it when F---s like this beat up a decent piece of writing by pointing out weak shi-. Point out that his opinion is bullshi-, I can live with that...

...although I'd never call you a mother fucking idiot Moddy. Your too classy for that.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Moddy, you're trying to reason with someone who thinks 9-11 was a U.S. government conspiracy. Losing battle, IMHO.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If stuff like that bothers you, you probably haven't done much desk work. EVERYBODY makes those kinds of mistakes. Yes, top writers on top papers. It's unfortunate when the desk doesn't catch it, but it happens. I can't count how many times over the years I've had calls from SEs asking me about writers. They want to know if he needs heavy editing, but by that they mean are the major factual or structural problems, not how's his spelling and grammar. They know everybody's going to make mistakes like that from time to time.

11. Good doctor...get your facts straight like a real journalist. For the record, I've never said the above. Only that people who have unanswered questions should be able to ask by virtue of FREEDOM.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Looks to me like the issue is with the DMN's copy desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted