1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another car buying thread (in spite of the others)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Excellent point. I've been trying to keep track of all the other costs associated with the new car and I haven't thought of that one for a while.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3's a fun car. Vibe and Matrix are the same car, but the Toyota version has better resale.

Getting back to one of the original cars mentioned, I saw a review of the Nissan Versa today. Absolutely ripped the car to shreds in every aspect.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I drove a Versa at Indy last year for six days. It was "Meh."
    But like the Accent, it's not in the same class as the Civic, Corolla or Elantra. Versa goes I'm the sub-contact.
    One last thought; get a car with a stick and it will feel much sportier to drive. Better mileage, too. Hurts resale though. I haven't bought a car for myself with an automatic transmission, well, ever. Wife's Trooper has one and yep, it went out. That's $3,500 I'd have liked to spend on something else.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't drive a stick. Never had a transmission go out. I'm not sure I could handle mine going out, since I don't have 3500 bucks to spare.

5. The gas mileage savings between manual and automatic is tiny. It's not worth the annoyance of having to manually change gears.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ever try to get a bill for a repair on a manual transmission vs. an automatic?

Ever wanted to save $1,000 come time to purchase your vehicle?

Ever want a certain RPM range, want to minimize wheelspin, want to better control your vehicle in inclement weather or just felt like actually driving your vehicle?

I rest my case.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

I agree all those things are/would be great. I, unfortunately, was never taught how to drive stick when I was learning to drive and didn't get a chance to learn until a couple years ago. Needless to day, it was somewhat of a disaster. Sadly, at this point, I think I won't be able to turn back.

But, Sam's points do count.

The biggest difference I've seen between the Civic/Corolla/Elantra is that I could find a Civic LX 4-speed automatic for not too much more than a Corolla or Elantra, after they're "upgraded" for an automatic transmission.

8. 1. Nope. The only transmission trouble I've ever had was with a stick shift. Never had a single problem with an automatic. Plus, I have insurance that covers such problems.

2. Not when it comes to deciding between a stick shift and an automatic. It's quite simple to make that $1,000 disappear real quick when dealing with the salesman.

3. My car drives perfectly well in any conditions, and gets up when I want it to. So, no problems.

Oh, BRoth ... you might want to wait a couple of months and take a look at the new Nissan Cube when it comes out. It is one sweet machine.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All style, no substance. Scion xB and Honda Element are similar but better. Cube's interior is kind of blah. Cargo space is not as impressive as the body style claims, and both of the two cars I just mentioned have better engines (reviews all say the Cube's transmission makes the engine buzzy).

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

Maybe it's just me, but I will never want to own/drive anything shaped like or with the name "cube." I am not a fan of the Scions at all. I generally prefer my cars to not look like pieces from Tetris.

I'm hoping to test drive a Civic next week.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to drive nothing but sticks. Then I got tired of stop and go traffic with a stick shift. My latest car is an automatic, and my commute doesn't piss me off near as much as it used to.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A legit point, PCLL. pressboxramblings, on the other hand ...

Draft saved Draft deleted