1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another black eye for the newspaper industry that the end is coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 8, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Actually . . . . Red Leader died after telling Luke to get set up for his attack run, screaming like a kamikaze after he lost his starboard engine.

GOLD Leader was the one being told to "Stay on Target!" by the other dude, who lost his buddies and pulled out of the trench, only to be pursued and destroyed by Vader after lamenting the fact they "Lost Tyree, lost Hutch."

As for the photo, I appreciate a William Hootkins tribute as much as the next dork.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

These bastards think you're full of shit. They're too busy drawing their bonuses for immediate gratification than to think long-term. Rats are always the last off a ship.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing the "happy talk" from people saying newspaper biz isn't as bad as people say.
    It reminds me a lot of Iraq "stay the course" b.s. where the people who are paid to know what the future will be are flipping coins like the rest of us.
    The "newspaper" is being transformed into a specialized niche publishing provider for designated demographics. The newspaper we know now is going the way of the dodo bird. The future will be full of reader and PR-submitted write-ups and photos of local events. Some watchdog work by real reporters, and more localized and demo-targeted sports coverage.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is saying "stay the course" or "all is well." We are saying "things aren't that and there's no reason to start digging the grave yet."

Yes, newspapers have challenges ahead. But I think we'll be able to adapt to them. That might mean becoming more localized. That might mean put most of the premium content on the Web. But newspapers will survive.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yep, they'll survive.

Average wage, 2020: $25,000 of today's dollars.

Pass the Ramen, please. Oh, and tell the publisher thanks for the steak restaurant coupons for Christmas bonuses. It's nice to look back and remember when we used to bump into him all the time in those places.

Yep, they'll survive.

6. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

I bow to your superior dorkdum, Piotr. You are correct. The force is strong with you.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

You know, you really dont' need to sign your name to every post, we get it's you with your name in the little box on the left. (expecting a response in 3...2...1)

Draft saved Draft deleted