1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another AP boo-boo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Just noticed something on the NFL standings that AP moves every day ... have they changed the style for abbreviating the month of September? Everything is now abbreviated "Sep." ....

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Dammit, do you realize how much stockholder money they can save by eliminating those pesky bytes?

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And yet they want to charge us more ... :|

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I believe that AP's college football logs have always had it as Sep. I remember going into it one time to add the t and shit started breaking over. Not worth the time and trouble.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It does not, in fact, make a whole lot of sense that every other abbreviated month is three letters, and September is four.

6. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Don't have an AP stylebook handy, but I believe Sep has been the preferred form in agate for years.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, just like "St." stands in for "State" in college football scores (Michigan St., Ohio St., etc.), when it's in fact the abbreviation for "street."

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I can't believe this would even rank as a "boo-boo."

9. moonlight

moonlight Member

Would this?

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Go ahead, pick your <b> adjective </b>. The Pittsburgh Steelers probably used it following a stunning 35-7 loss to Baltimore on Sunday.

Safety Ryan Clark called it <b> "a whipping." </b> Several players went with "humbling." Linebacker James Harrison considers it <b> "a reality check" </b> while offensive tackle Willie Colon labeled it "embarrassing."

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nice, somewhat subtle (but I guess it shouldn't be) catch.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

On the "Sep." vs. "Sept." argument, I think that's a classic example of worrying about the wrong things in this business.

Is it technically correct to use "Sept." rather than "Sep."? Yes.
    Is there any reader out there who will see that and notice it or think of it as an error? Doubtful.

If you're to the point where the rest of your section, writing, editing, coverage decisions, story play, etc., is so perfect that the next thing on your list left to correct is how the AP abbreviates the name of a month, then you're in good shape. But I doubt that's the case for anyone on here.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My gripe with AP is one that's probably of greater interest to my readers: Why can't they move wild card standings?

Draft saved Draft deleted