1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another academic scandal; UNC is f-cked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

If the NCAA bought those lies, it was because it wanted to.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hope when the NCAA does whatever it does it considers the waitresses and hotel owners in Chapel Hill.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can't agree with this at all. Butch Davis brought John Blake on board. Blake didn't have the cleanest reputation, and he arranged meetings between so-called amateur athletes and agents. Also, there were the issues of tutors.

Am I saying Davis was the reason for all the issues with the African-American studies department? No. Is he a scapegoat or completely innocent? Don't kid yourself.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Matt doesn't remember SMU?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ahem ... so this transcript wouldn't be such an embarrassment to UNC if it were that of a well-paid employee?

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, if the worst proves true here, couldn't one at least make an argument that this is worse than what happened at SMU, at least in the sense that this strikes at the very heart of what a University is supposed to be?

Boosters paying college athletes doesn't shock me at all. I know they've been getting paid under the table forever, hell I think they should get paid. But the notion of of one of our most respected universities turning an ENTIRE DEPARTMENT into a fraudulent ruse for keeping athletes who do nothing eligible, creating 53 different phony classes, and having it go on for perhaps a decade or more? Yeah, I must say I instinctively find that a bit more shocking that what went on at SMU.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said "some" ...

:p

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any word on whether or not the governor of North Carolina is involved in this? Bill Clements' involvement pretty much makes SMU an all-timer.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Schools need to be made to disclose much more information about the academic qualifications of their athletes. This could easily be done in aggregate without running afoul of FERPA, etc. Athletes in top-tier programs at top-tier schools -- e.g., basketball at UNC and Duke, football at Oregon, etc. -- are radically different from the general student body in terms of qualifications. With greater disclosure, I think you'd see a substantial narrowing of that gap. And a side benefit would be that we wouldn't have to hear Mike Patrick droning on about how they "do things the right way" ...

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Heroine?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How does a black guy get a D+ in black experience?

Draft saved Draft deleted