1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anorexia and sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 12, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060912/COLUMNISTS18/609120345

It gets a bit more interesting towards the bottom, when it talks about how the issue affects how coaches deal with their players.

Honestly, it isn't something I had thought much about before.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Check gymnasts, wrestlers and a couple other 'sports' like drill team and cheerleading and you'll find eating disorders are much more common than most are willing to acknowledge.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Add figure skating to the list too. Anything where you gain an edge by being small is going to have an eating disorder issue.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those examples I've thought of. Softball? Never really occured to me.

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Since I'm eating as I read this, my personal headline: A good meal spoiled

6. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, by Joan Ryan.

Quite possibly the best-reported sports book I've ever read.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

track as well. I battled starving myself to stay in shape during the season, and in the offseason as well. actually it carried over into college before I just taught myself to eat less instead of not eating at all.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I wonder if this is a problem in horseracing too. The jockey's have to be as tiny as possible.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes it is, very much so. Jocks have been known to purge themselves before weigh-ins.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the wrestlers I went to high school with. Some of those guys would look like they were halfway in the grave during the day.

I think ESPN did an Outside the Lines on this a while back, mostly about female athletes. The main point was about how it wasn't always a lack of eating. Sometimes it was working out too hard and not eating enough to keep up.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If by "have been known to" you mean "routinely" you've got it nailed.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If that's the disease, then here's the cure:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted