1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anonymous online commenter sued for libel (updated)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 26, 2012.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Re: Anonymous online commenter sued for libel

This the obvious argument to make on a forum like this, but I think it's a false equivalency. There's a place for anonymous discussion on the Internet, nobody really disputes that, and the communities where more interesting discussion goes on tend to be subject to energetic moderation (which newspapers actively avoid for legal reasons). A newspaper's mission is fundamentally different than a free message board with no ambitions others than as a place to kill a few minutes every day, and I think it's fair to say what's appropriate for one isn't appropriate on another. Just like it'd be inappropriate for me to walk into work wearing sweatpants and no shoes. There's nothing wrong with one area of expression offering something different than another area of expression, even if they're both online.

2. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Re: Anonymous online commenter sued for libel

The nutjobs are the main reason we stopped allowing online comments on most things. The only place where comments are allowed now are on editorials. Of course, you can still comment on our Facebook page, but the comments to be found there are different in tone. Not as many nutjobs.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Getting back to the lawsuit: The plaintiff has subpoenaed the newspaper seeking the name of the anonymous commenter, and the newspaper's lawyers are fighting it:

http://hosted2.ap.org/ALDEC/TDNational/Article_2012-04-30-GOP%20Official-Blogger%20Lawsuit/id-a03dec964a0440fabcee1d4b4af68ad6

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The name of the commenter? Yeah, good luck finding "Amanda Huggenkist."

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

A conversation?
    Not the comments I've read. They are racist, sexist and very very inflammatory toward the writer. Why would any business condone such trash? Why not just run pictures of naked women if all you are after are hits?? These comments are just as insulting as naked pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted