1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Thanksgiving Day high school football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hutch-Aquinas for the Class 5A title ought to be one helluva game.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Heard that 9500 showed up to watch New Canaan VS Darien - # 1 vs # 3 in state. Anyone attend?

Both towns suffering from steep economic decline after Wall Street collapse now look to football as their escape.

The players - with their trust funds no longer solvent view football as their only way out of the hell hole that used to be referred to "The Gold Coast".

3. So very excellent.
    Well-struck, my brother.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Xan - if you're going to mention that one, you have to specify that it was the 50th Thanksgiving game between the teams.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You're right spntied (16 sectional and 4 state champs). I should have thought it through better before posting while tired :D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And in Passaic, NJ, on Thanksgiving Day, they retire Jack Tatum's No. 32 ... 42 years after he played there.

http://www.northjersey.com/hssports/Legend_comes_home.html

7. Sammi

Sammi Member

Was disappointed to see that Coyle and Cassidy has beaten Taunton (MA) by a FG.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You may (or may not) be interested to know that Don Beebe's Aurora (IL) Christian team lost out on its first state title, dropping a 38-27 decision to Bloomington Central Catholic in a game that featured almost 900 yards of offense.

9. love the water gap diner in stroudsburg

that's badass

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Indiana is a state where the quality of HS football used to be mostly a joke, but I was stunned at how good even the small schools were. I caught a little of the Class A title game (Indianapolis Cardinal Ritter vs. Sheridan), and the Ritter passing game was amazing for that level -- a lot of perfectly timed out patterns, and lineups like three wide receivers and an empty backfield two yards from the goal line. A lot more sophisticated than they used to be.

Also, Ritter had this receiver named Tyrone Walker, who apparently isn't getting recruited much because he's six feet tall. But he has the most incredible hands I've seen on a high school player -- one-handed catches and the like.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I saw Ritter earlier this season, and you are dead-on about Walker. I was stunned at how their receivers knew how to run routes towards the sideline, get their feet in and get out-of-bounds. Most high school kids are looking to pull a Crabtree.
    I was told that Walker likely ends up at Purdue.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's funny. I didn't see it on Wayne's World this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted