1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Rock & Roll Hall Nominee debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And this year's nominees are...

Madonna
    Chic
    John Mellencamp
    Beastie Boys
    Afrika Bambaataa
    Leonard Cohen
    Dave Clark Five
    The Ventures
    Donna Summer

And let me be the first to say.... uggh. Maybe the hall should just take a break for a few years.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Madonna, Mellencamp and Beastie Boys are pretty legitimate choices. I've never heard of Afrika Bambaataa. Sounds like something a sheep would listen too. . .

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Madonna - I hate her, but she absolutely should be in...
    Chic - Who?
    John Mellencamp - I sort of see Mellencamp as the Fred McGriff of the R&R HOF. I won't have a problem with it either way...
    Beastie Boys - Absolutely...
    Afrika Bambaataa - Who?
    Leonard Cohen - Absofuckinglutely...
    Dave Clark Five - No.
    The Ventures - No.
    Donna Summer - No.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Are there any disco artists in the Hall? Donna might be the best choice from that genre.

5. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Bambaataa is a hip-hop pioneer and was a very influential community leader with the Universal Zulu Nation. "Planet Rock" is his record.

His Rolling Stone biography:

www.rollingstone.com/artists/afrikabambaataa/biography

I'd give him a shot at making it, as I think many hip hop pioneers should have a shot. As for the rest, Madonna's a lock, Mellencamp should make it, as should the Beastie Boys and Leonard Cohen.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Madonna ain't rock, but she'll get in because of the impact on music in general
    Chic - no
    Mellencamp - Yes
    Beastie Boys - don't like 'em, but they deserve to get in
    Afrika Bambaataa - Who? Wikipedia says he is "a DJ and community leader from the South Bronx, who was instrumental in the early development of hip hop throughout the 1970s. Like the majority of the early pioneers in Hip-Hop, he is of Jamaican descent." I don't think he'll get voted in.
    Leonard Cohen - Without a doubt
    Dave Clark Five - No.
    The Ventures - Have a shot. One of the pioneers of the 'surf' sound of the 60s.
    Donna Summer - Comes closer to rock than Madonna and was more of a pioneer than Madonna in her genre. She has a very good shot at getting in. I'd have no problem if she got the nod. Besides, she covered an unreleased Springsteen song ("Protection") where Bruce plays guitar on her version

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My hippie uncle gave me an Afrika Bambaataa cassette when was about 12. Whatever it was, I hated it.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When are Rush and KISS going to get the respect they deserve?

(Stepping back to enjoy the show from this point forward.)

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bambaataa was a very important name in rap for about two years. He hasn't done anything relevant in a long, long time.

I really haven't liked anything that the Beasties since License to Ill. I was so exited to hear Paul Boutique, especially since Rolling Stone gave the album the full Brown Bunny (I think it got 5 stars), and I thought that it was just awful. With the exception of a couple of good videos, I just don't see it with them.

I think that the Beasties, Madonna and Mellencamp are locks. Summer and Cohen are 50/50.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Madonna: Easily.
    Chic: Yes, because Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards have gone on to be very influential.
    John Mellencamp: No doubt.
    Beastie Boys: Not my cup of joe, but definitely.
    Afrika Bambaataa: No.
    Leonard Cohen: The rock inteligentsia will put him in probably, but in a Rock hall? I wouldn't.
    Dave Clark Five: No.
    The Ventures: No, represented a lame musical fad: synchronized guitar riffs.
    Donna Summer: No, a product of producers.

And Kiss is way overdue.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Every year that passes that these two aren't in undermines the credibility (if you can call it that) of the HOF.

From this list, Beasties, Madonna and Johnny Cougar.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My vote....

Madonna - no, but she'll get in
    Chic - no, but semi-close; I think Nile Rodgers is already in
    John Mellencamp - no
    Beastie Boys - I have a hard time making white guys some of the first hip-hop artists to get in
    Afrika Bambaataa - no, and a bizarre nomination
    Leonard Cohen - Sure. Great songwriter. Let quality beat commerce for once and let him in.
    Dave Clark Five - no.
    The Ventures - Yes, but barely
    Donna Summer - Yes, but I'm not wild about it.

And I'm not taking the Rush bait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.