1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying Buzz at World Cup Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

After about 30 seconds, they fade into the background. I hear them but don't listen.

I call BS on being an "African thing" because I bought one in Holland at Euro 2000 and had it out Saturday during the U.S. game just for atmosphere.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But they made the right call here. They shouldn't ban them.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is that a compliment or a criticism, since the Third Reich's PR schemes worked until the war started.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I kinda think it's a neat sound, a one-of-a-kind experience. Someone I know has a vuvuzela sound as a ringtone and it's kinda kicky to me. Of course, if I were at the stadium or playing...my feelings could be different.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So if something was present in Montreal in the '90s, it can't be a piece of African culture. Got it.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Exactly. I was thinking "Rock and roll. Not a part of English culture."

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Either way, it is the cultural equivalent of thundersticks.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Interestingly, Youppi, the Expos' mascot also had his origins in African culture.

[​IMG]

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I didn't mean it wasn't part of the African culture, just that it isn't exclusively African nor did they just appear in the last year or two.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

They're no different than the air horn kids have been blowing at American football games the last generation. The difference is that they're being blown much more often and without interruption.

It's white noise. Got used to it last year during coverage of the Confederations Cup.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At least its authentic - unlike the fake clapping noises heard at NBA games.

Draft saved Draft deleted