1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Announcing/writing pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 19, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree to a point. Except sometimes "6 out of 7" tells the more accurate story. Say a team wins four games in a row, then loses one, then wins two. That's still a pretty impressive stretch. Saying they won "two in a row" doesn't do it justice. Saying they won "six of their past seven" gives me a clear picture of how hot this team has been lately.

I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Now if they win six in a row, then lose three in a row ... I wouldn't say they've won 6 of 9. Because that's just stupid.

May

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If we're ahead and the other team has burned its last timeout, we tell them to let the ball bounce (at least to :05) and don't even take it out if the clock is inside 10 seconds.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yes, that's how they call it in the National Football League.

4. I like how nobody touched on SB's post about a prominent columnist needing a website to help him come up with a cliche.

I also like, and find it pretty obvious in retrospect, how the thread turned into a turn of TV bashing.

Carry on, hacks.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Glad we could entertain you!

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've never understood why writers use "would." Is it because it sounds more intelligent?
    Other things that drive me nuts include "future plans" and "the quarterback position."
    I know that when you write for print media it's generally a good idea to use words economically. You use "He passed the ball" instead of "He would pass the ball." It's "quarterback" not "The quarterback position" and "Team A beat Team B 4-3," not "Team A beat Team B by the score of 4 to 3."
    When I listen to sports radio or watch TV sports highlights shows, I hear the wordier phrases all the time. Is that style preferable to a more economical style in broadcast journalism than it is in print?

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Too many commercial attachments to routine events.

"That's ball four, brought to you by Anal Leakage Away."

"Martinez slaps a single through the right side, that means it's time for the HardOn Boner Pills single through the right side replay!"

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Last seven days....as in "Billy Bob has four sacks, 15 tackles and one fumble recovery in the last seven days." Just say two games.

And referring to meaningless streaks. My killer this spring has been "The Hurricanes haven't lost a playoff series since 2002." Of course, this is only there second playoffs since then.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Print journalists are taught to conserve space and write tight.

Broadcasters are taught to write "conversationally," which often tends to be more wordy.

Draft saved Draft deleted