1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Announcing/writing pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 19, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But when it's played, a Game 3 where a team misses a chance to go up 3-0 can certainly be pivotal. I understand your point about looking at the series as a whole, but there are certain moments in a game or a series where you know the tide is turning. If the Lakers go on a 10-0 run in the middle of the third quarter to stretch their lead to 18 points, I don't think you have to wait until the end of the game to say that that was a pivotal moment.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm amused at the disgust of the use of non-literal explosiveness. Tough crowd.

Are you OK with calling someone a burner, when there's no tangible amount of heat created by a player's speed?

What about a slumping shooter going cold, when his poor performance has no actual impact on his body temperature?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Untracked."

Because, you know, being on some damn "track" is what is causing all the trouble.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Quarterback position, running back position, safety position, defensive end position, linebacker position, cornerback position, wide receiver position.

THEY'RE ALL POSITIONS! I swear it straight from coaches' press conferences to every broadcaster like a virus ...

"Defensive side of the football" is another redundancy that I hear.

5. Approximately 85% of Hubie Brown's analysis is in the second person. ("You're Kevin Garnett. You see that lane, and you think, easy dunk! But no, Howard comes over. So now you're wondering, okay, what do I do now?")

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Here, here! Oh man, I hate untracked...

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Bill Simmons ;)

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Do we really see it that often to be bothered by it? Tuffy Rhodes in 1994 not withstanding?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Isn't it "Hear! Hear!"

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always thought it should be "on track." I mean, if you're on a train and it gets "untracked," then aren't you off the tracks and careening into the woods somewhere? That's not a good spot to be in.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Untracked is correct. There's an alarming amount of research on it here:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002148.html

It's much the same way people now like to "squash" rumors much like a bug in the kitchen, when they really seek to merely "quash" them.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

untracked is frakkin' wrong at every level. I don't care 'bout no stinkin' research

Draft saved Draft deleted