1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AnnArbor.com apologizes for reporter's comment during live chat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

There's a huge and somewhat ugly divide on the Michigan media scene right now between partisan/fan-based media (blogs, some talk radio hosts, Rivals and Scout) and traditional media, with the partisan/fan-based media continuously pushing the idea that the traditional media - particularly the Free Press and Birkett - are out to get Rich Rodriguez.

It's a self-serving argument for the partisan media, but the traditional media plays right into their hands with mistakes like this. The remark was jumped on by multiple sites that attempted to make it into the moral equivalent to the major NCAA violations that Michigan is being investigated for (a little wink to my UM friends there).

I'm sure Dave regrets it and it's not at all typical of him IMO, but knowing the fanbase he'll be hearing about it for years.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No, I didn't say that. How can your subjects take you seriously when you publicly mock them?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you have to worry about everything you say on a live chat, whose gonna tune in?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good lord. You act like he called the kid's mama a dirty pirate hooker with gonoherpisyphillAIDS. Birkett (with an "i") decided to have a little fun during a lengthy live chat in response to someone using the first name of the player in question. It happens.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've seen some of these in Tampa.

Attractive, in a slutty way, but not someone you want to take home to meet Mother.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dorsey is a repeat-offender thug, who has been allowed to skate free because he's a football hero.

Case closed.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i wonder if dorsey apologized to his victims?
    Should the birkett incident have happened? No.
    Are fans insane? yes.
    The same thing would be happening down here in SEC land, probably times 10.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ybor City

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I didn't know Dorsey apologizing to victims was a journalism topic.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Drawing a comparison between hardcore fans and willing suicide victims in a cult is tame? Overused and improperly used, at that (people who drink the Kool-Aid would already be dead, and it's Flav-R-Aid), but just because it's cliche doesn't mean it's not inappropriate.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The comment section of that link is like a fanboi orgy.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a joke. It was a live chat. So reporters have to do everything now and be politically correct in live fucking chats when readers can say pretty much whatever they want in live chats and/or reader comments on stories. So let's have reader chats where the reporters act like most coaches: say nothing. I wish they'd have me do a live chat so I could talk like a politician.

Draft saved Draft deleted