1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

angry parent threatens ad dollars...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by strunk_you, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Too bad we can't go up to an ad rep, and say we are covering little league and ask if they can get an ice cream man to advertise in the paper.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've pitched ideas to advertising, they usually follow through but it's not like they're short staffed. Shit, we've got more ad reps than anything else.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

stitch - if ad reps are a problem in your life, why do you even bother speaking to them?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

there is a short cubicle wall separating my desk from the ad staff area. They seek me out, unfortunately, since I have to write the "business" stories as well.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why in the fuck are ad reps talking to you about business stories?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

because my editor doesn't think there's anything wrong with that and the ad reps think that they are doing the advertisers a favor by "suggesting" stories to me.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your editor is a fucking idiot.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

it's a "sop" to advertisers (not my quote). The latest was coordinating with the ad staff as to when a biz brief would run so the company could buy an ad for that edition.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

One of the few down sides to living a couple of hours from my paper's city is that I can't tell ad reps in person to eat crusty taint. I'd have to call and tell them, and that's not nearly as much fun.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I had a guy try to pull that with me over a letter we ran that praised one of his competitors (who also advertised). Publisher backed me on that one and he left. Advertising does not dictate editorial attention.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

TP's right. I hate stuff like this. People don't get very far by threatening me at my shop. If someone wants to act like a dick, all that does is make me mad. If someone takes a polite approach I'll do whatever I can for that person.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

When parents yell and scream at me to cover their team I usually do it......12 months later.

Draft saved Draft deleted