1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

angriest cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 16, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a d_b, but I stumbled across this this morning and thought the results were a little surprising.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=metrogrades&conitem=9ca8a9f3340dc010VgnVCM10000013281eac____
    1. Orlando, FL

2. St. Petersburg, FL

3. Detroit, MI

4. Baltimore, MD

5. Nashville, TN

6. Wilmington, DE

7. Miami, FL

8. Memphis, TN

9. Jacksonville, FL

10. St. Louis, MO

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How can they leave New York out of the top 10! Fuck them!

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can hear Philadelphia booing from here.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Orlando always makes me angry. I think it has something to do with all of that manufactured happiness they try to peddle at the theme parks. Usually, I'm just trying to get some work done but I'm assaulted by all things Disney every second I'm there. Screaming, sunburned kids on sugar binges. Worn out moms threatening them. Dads vowing never again to stand on such long lines for over-priced rides. I always avoid flying out of Florida from Orlando, too. Planes are filled with the same screaming families fighting over over-head storage space to fit their giant, stuffed Little Mermaid dolls. The golf courses at the Grand Cypress are nice, though.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

New York isn't an angry city. Whenever shit happens here--like the blackout a few years ago--people turn incredibly decent. I had to walk about 7 miles to get home. The streets were filled with people walking. It was really hot outside. And storekeepers were handing out free ice cream to anyone who wanted it, figuring it was going to melt anyhow. That struck me as very nice.

I've lived in Chicago and New York. I always said the main difference was that people will stab you in the back in either place. In Chicago, they'll smile to your face and give you the shiv when you are not looking. In New York, they have the decency to show you the knife first. Which is worse?

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Philly booed Santa Claus, for christ sakes, and they're not in the top 10?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The angriest city is anyone i happen to be in at the time... deal with it

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hey, that was 40 years ago, it was cold, and the Eagles were losing.

And didn't they throw snowballs at Santa Claus?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I was at Laguardia when the blackout happened and encountered the same thing. Folks were naturally concerned about terrorism, and cellphones weren't working, so the NYC cabbies were opening their doors and blasting their radios, relaying info to people who were in turn, relaying it to everyone in the baggage area and upstairs in ticketing. Very cooperative, non-angry atmosphere.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

strange list. i can see a list of rudest cities but angriest? i don't really buy it.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

NYC is definitely friendlier than most cities. New Yorkers seem gruff because they move at a fast pace, and because they're all on top of each other. But, yeah, in a crisis great or small they respond. I always remember, from my time there, when there would be community bonding over someone as small as a subway being excrutiatingly late. Suddenly, the walls would come down, and people would start talking to each other about what was going on.

I can understand why St. Petersburg is up there. It's because it's full of old people and the Devil Rays.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Lotta cranky old people in Florida.

But Philly has to be on this list.

Draft saved Draft deleted