1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit-and-run

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2009.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Nothing on MLB Network, not even a crawl.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can tell you this is going to shake Washington County to its core in a way that wouldn't happen most other places, for exactly the reason poin explains. This guy was larger than life in an area that wants sports heroes, but doesn't have many.

I'm shaken to think I was watching him 12 hours ago on MLB.TV.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Fixed.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Absolute tragedy. I can never get my head around moments like this, just horrible.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jesus God. Adenhart wouldn't have even been up if Lackey and Escobar hadn't opened the year on the DL.

I'm sick.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kevin Roderick at L.A. Observed notes the Angels are haunted by losing players in car accidents.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/04/nick_adenhart_angels_pitc.php

This will revive talk of the Angels' string of misfortune through the years. In 1972, infielder Chico Ruiz died in a car accident. In 1974, rookie pitcher Bruce Heinbechner died in a spring training car accident. Shortstop Mike Miley was killed in a car accident in 1977, and the following year star outfielder Lyman Bostock was shot and killed during the season while in Gary, Indiana. In addition, pitcher Minnie Rojas was paralyzed in a 1968 car accident, rookie pitcher Dick Wantz died of a brain tumor in 1965 and former catcher Ed Kirkpatrick was paralyzed in a 1981 crash.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Didn't they have a guy killed in a dune buggy accident too? I think it was in the late 70s/early 80s.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Danny Frisella, I believe, who didn't pitch for the Angels.

http://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/Frisella.Danny.Obit.html

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's kind of unfair because almost every team has had tragedies in its past history. The Yankees had Munson, the Cardinals had Kile and Hancock, the Indians had ... etc. The only Angel we all know is Bostock, and that's because he was ahead of Rod Carew in batting average besides the tragic circumstances (I don't think any other player was murdered in-season).

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

They just started a scroll on MLBN after showing the Angels highlights.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Adenhart was struck around 11 p.m. but survived until 6 a.m. this morning when he died on the operating table, according to reports here in SoCal.

The wife's a Halo fan by birth so we watched every pitch last night...and we even pointed him out to my daughter who is his age and gave her a hard time for not earning as much as he did. Wow.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Since this is a sports board, I'll ask ... what will this do to the Angels this season? Will this mean a trade for Peavy must happen?

Draft saved Draft deleted