1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angelina Jolie has preventive double mastectomy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 14, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll take the insight of a lupus survivor over attention-seeking Angie.
    The fact is she has been diagnosed with nothing.
    Prepared to mutilate her body despite being diagnosed with nothing.
    Life is risk. We roll the dice every day and hope to see the next.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... And I thought I was cynical...

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Maybe. I choose to stay in the present.
    There's a fair chance I could die a very violent death driving home among the drunks this weekend.
    I think I'll still go to work anyway.
    And in Jolie, I see someone with an established personal history of drawing attention to self.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure there is an element of truth to that. Was Jolie, and her PR team that she undoubtedly has, aware of the flood of positive publicity that would be inevitable with such a revelation? Of course... But, that being said, I think a lot of people benefited greatly by one of the most famous people in the world drawing so much attention to a disease that impacts the lives of so many people.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I've come upon a lot of stories that are like, "Local woman had the same surgery." I guess I find it of value because I did not realize so many women were doing this. It also makes the story more accessible, because it's not just some celebrity who did this -- it's a celebrity doing what a good number of women are doing.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had it done years ago. Her mother had breast cancer. Her older sister died from it. She decided the odds were against her and decided to throw the first punch.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I already posted that a friend of mine did it, too, years ago. Her mom had died at 40 and her younger sister died at at 25. She had the surgery either before she turned 30 or shortly thereafter. She's in her 40s now.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think Christina Applegate had the same or similar procedure done, but I think she actually got breast cancer first, beat it and then had the double mastectomy to make sure it didn't come back.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Linking to Natural News? The site run by Mike "Health Danger" Adams? Not sure that's the option I'd choose if I wanted to be taken seriously.

10. TrooperBari

Adams' site is a haven for pseudoscience and conspiracy theories where "Big Pharma" is the enemy and the likes of Alex Jones and David Icke are hailed as heroes. Adams also has previous in latching on to stories involving high-profile individuals and health issues.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence?s=mike+adams
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/05/15/quack-view-of-preventing-breast-cancer-versus-reality/
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/05/16/the-quack-view-of-preventing-breast-cancer-versus-reality-and-angelina-jolie-part-2/
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Without looking at that site, I'm going to guess it would take three minutes to come up with something about how fluoride is poisoning us all.

12. TrooperBari

You're just held in the thrall of Big Dentistry.

Draft saved Draft deleted