1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Rooney, 60 Minutes, on sports nicknames

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I don't think this is a DB, but did anyone see Andy Rooney's piece at the end of 60 Minutes last night? I never watch that show, but I was interested in the Duke LAX thing they advertised during football... Anyway, Rooney's rant was on his own inability to distinguish what sport he's reading about in certain sports roundups in newspapers. As 'Exhibit A' as it were, he had an NHL roundup story from the AP with a headline mentioning the Predators and the Thrashers. He said he couldn't figure out what sport it was since he's never heard of either team, and only figured out it was hockey because the score was 5-4 and it's not baseball or soccer season.

The kicker: Right above the headline was the phrase "NHL ROUNDUP" perfectly visible in the newspaper clip they showed.

Not that I had any respect for Rooney or ever watch his show, but from now on, if I ever see his name attached to something, I'll be hard pressed to take it seriously. I know he's older than Jesus Christ himself, but seriously, the words "NHL ROUNDUP" were right there above the headline -- how the hell do you not see that?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to threadjack, but since when did LAX become the acceptable way to abbreviate lacrosse? Seriously. Every time I see LAX it makes me wonder if the person is referring to an inbound or outbound flight from Los Angeles International Airport. Lacrosse is the last thing about which I think.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The saddest thing is that he's done this topic before. About 20 years ago.

"Oakland Athletics. I know what an athlete is. But what's an Athletic?"

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Guess it must have been a slow, uninspired week in the Rooney house, huh?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"Don't you just hate paperclips?"

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

LAX has been used for lacrosse at least for as long as I've been in the business... which basically means forever.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Longer than forever, spinited. :)

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hell, lacrosse players even say they're going to "lax practice" sometimes. There's no confusion at all in the lacrosse hotbeds.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Strangely, box lacrosse has never been known as "box lax." Guess they figured that would've sounded too much like a laxative. They call it "boxla" instead.

As for Andy Rooney, he's like the network version of Larry King -- not relevant now, barely relevant ever, but let's just keep humouring him and someday he'll die. Then we'll all shed crocodile tears and mourn him as "a great journalist," yada-yada-yada, forever and ever, amen.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the Bushy Eyebrows would be a good nickname.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, if anyone would know about longer than forever...old man!

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

East Texas isn't exactly a lacrosse hotbed. I don't even know of a high school in the state (maybe in the Dallas Metroplex) which plays lacrosse, especially at the UIL level.

Draft saved Draft deleted