1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Reid's son found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The Reid family statement has a line in it stating that Garrett "lost his battle" with his ongoing disease...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/reid-family-statement-on-passing-of-garrett-reid/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So being a drug addict is a disease?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, I think a lot of people consider addiction to be a disease. A progressive one, at that.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yes. So is being an alcoholic.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So is being an asshole. At least I hope it is. That would explain a lot about my last 20 years. :D

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Very much so - do a little research. My mother worked in the field for the last 15 years of her professional life. It's pretty eye-opening. Much like alcoholism. For every success story, there's another one that is quite sad.

I think it is, in fact, much easier to control being an asshole.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Both are difficult. I think more people accept assholism than alcholism or drug addiction.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I'll never be able to buy into that one...

I'm guessing people battling cancer would have a problem with someone who is addicted to heroin having "a disease"

9. Mizzougrad96

You're entitled to your opinion.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When you become a leading doctor or researcher, feel free to create a defintion of disease that will be accepted by the scientific community.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm entitled to my opinion...

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Opinions are based on facts - do a little research. My mom, by the way, was a cancer patient for a number of years. It's what eventually killed her (though a stroke didn't help). She had no problem with alcoholism and drug addiction as a disease because she worked in the field and knew her stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted