1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Pettitte

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 24, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Some of us already have.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The title character has turned down the Yankees' latest offer (1 year, $10M).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/sports/baseball/06yanks.html?ref=baseball

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So he's going to take the big money from that mystery team that was offering a 3-year deal?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's amazing that the Yankees are toeing a financial line in the sand with Pettitte after spending a Gross National Product for Sabathia, Burnett and Mark Teixeira.

I could see the Jays, Mets and Dodgers offering Pettitte a deal that's closer to his liking.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

At $16 million last year, Pettite was the third-highest paid pitcher in baseball and went 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA (above the league average of 4.34). He had a 5.03 ERA after the All-Star break.

He can't possibly expect to make that kind of money again this year.

He's one of my favorite Yankees, but $10 million is an awful lot of money to be average (or worse). They can go up a little bit if they want, but there's no way I'd pay him more than $12 million, especially after the way he finished last year (4-7 after the break).

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think he would be overpaid at $10 million. The Yankees can afford it, but why overpay just so Pettitte's pride doesn't get hurt?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Not that anyone's going to cry for the Yankees, but one thing they've done over the years is force themselves to overpay for everyone they sign. By signing all these big, bloated contracts and basically announcing "money is no object to us," they will almost always have to pay a few million more for a player they want.

It's like telling a car salesman that you just walked eight miles to the dealership and desperately need a new car for your date with Marissa Tomei tonight. He's going to get more $$ out of you than he is from the guy who just drove onto the lot in a Benz, who says he'd like to buy a car, but doesn't really need it.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Pettitte a $10 million pitcher in 2009? Not even close. The Yankees would be doing him a favor at that price. That said, it's almost always better for the veteran on the way down, who's getting a big pay cut, to get it from another team. Pride is a big factor, and it feels wrong to most competitors to take a (deserved) pay cut from a longtime employer rather than get that same reduced salary elsewhere.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pettitte has a profound attachment to his family that you just don't see with other athletes.

I wouldn't be shocked if he walked.

Draft saved Draft deleted