1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, he does. Seems a little overwrought for a veteran prosecutor of America's noble second war in Iraq, though.

I don't trust sentiment much. Never did intrinsically and, of course, journalism trained me to distrust sentiment as a mechanism of manipulation.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This is the Mayor of Jacksonville:

Yeah, right dude. The only ones who get driven out of football by the Jaguars are their own players.
    It should as no surprise that this guy is a Trumpie. That's a Trump-worthy Tweet.

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A city entirely unworthy of a team.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

giant stadium video boards though. You walk in there and it's like, "fuck, those are big! why?"

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This has been a low-class org for decades.
    Now the Colts get to rebuild the way everyone else has to - without a 2-14 tank job expressly orchestrated to draft Luck.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was the first person I thought of when I saw that query. Luck was very, very good when he was healthy and on the field. Megatron was a gamechanger.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you told me 48 hours ago that Luck was retiring, I would have never anticipated this backlash.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course not.

I just don't think NFL writers - whether we're talking about Magary or Doyel or Bob Costas, or even this guy Andrew Luck Retirement: What It Means | National Review - need to recuse themselves from commenting on Luck's retirement or the fan reaction to it.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Dude, he was a Lion.

Was he trying to change the game for an 8-8 season?

The biggest surprises to me are the players who are in the league and walk away before the big paydays.

The Steelers had a linebacker a decade ago that did this and the 49ers had a kid do this after his first session.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Backlash? Shit.

Cam Newton does this and he’s the next Avenger super villain.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Fierce criticism of almost anything gets hits if it gets into the right online bloodstream. Fierce criticism of Luck would, or of Some team being too low or too high in the AP poll. Shoot if one wrote a story fiercely defending football and arguing we’re not respecting the importance of team enough, it probably gets the hits.

(For fun, every so often my paper would run some guest column about how shitty kids are there days. And it always killed online. Most of the response was affirmative, with just enough, this is stupid to keep things going)

Draft saved Draft deleted