1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And your Most Miserable U.S. City is .....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 18, 2010.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I liked the fact that Chicago's 10-plus percent sales tax was pointed out. And the state of Illinois doesn't go light on the taxes, either.

So I'm sure both the city and the state must have plenty of money for important programs, and no financial woes whatsoever ... ::)

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Buffalo No. 8? They can hold the celebration in the Statler Building. Plenty of room available.

Actually, there are still some very nice, affordable neighborhoods in Buffalo, and they are very close to the hospitals, universities, downtown, where what jobs there are there, are, and a spectacular park.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dear Memphis,

You'll need the high taxes to pay enough police officers to keep your Chuck E. Cheese customers in line.

Sincerely,
    -2mcm-

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I liked the 2d attempt better:

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't Camden simply get rolled up with Philly?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Really stupid of them to rank K.C. low because of miserable sports teams.

Maybe I've just outgrown fanboiism, but whether the local team is any good plays zero role in how pleasant that city is.

Only living cities are considered. I think Gary died several years ago.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hoboken sucks just as badly as Camden.

Not just physical decrepitude, but ugly and rude people out the ass.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

If you really think Philadelphia's Center City equates with St. Louis, I can't believe you've spent much time in either place. Or maybe I missed St. Louis's Independence Hall, Society Hill, Boathouse Row, Reading Terminal Market and dozens of world-class restaurants.
    But yeah,people here are mean, I heard they even threw snowballs at Santa Claus.

And Joe -- I would guess Newark, Camden and A.C. don't fit the criterion of being in the top 200 metro areas RE population. I'm pretty sure Camden doesn't, anyhow

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's an old-looking city, sure, but it's loaded with money and luxury high-rises. It's a yuppie haven and belongs nowhere near this convo (oh, and it's too small to be in the running)

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Some really good restaurants and a lot of very good bars.

A town of about 40,000 packed into a little more than one square mile.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Philly is a great city. Great restaurants, museums , easy to get around and lots of history. From Center City you can get to the ball parks via subway in 15 minutes.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, but rural areas have just as many problems, and not so many redeeming features.

Draft saved Draft deleted