1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And your 2013 Oscars host is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

... Seth Macfarlane!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/seth-macfarlane-host-oscars-171614063--abc-news-celebrities.html;_ylt=A2KJjbymCmpQ_SsAJ17QtDMD

Gotta admit I'm a bit surprised by this, but I'll keep an open mind.

Which reminds me, they have to give Timberlake a shot at this in the next few years, I think.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, they're just grasping at straws to stay relevant with the kids today, aren't they?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure the odds are good that something offensive will show up in The Family Guy and he'll back out.
    Anyone know what the deal is with his appearance? I figure his teeth are capped, he waxes his brows and might have/had hairline issues.
    The biggest misgiving I have is that he has no rapport with those in the audience (save Mark Wahlberg). They won't be rooting for him and figure he's annoyed/outraged/insulted most of them.
    Throw that in with a lack of background in standup or improv and being able to do things off-the-cuff and it could kind of suck to Franco Hathaway levels.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Call me a fossi but somebody should be kind enough to tell me who he is and what he does for a living.

Thank you very much.

And bring back Billy Crystal.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

No rapport? Check out the hundreds of actors who have guest starred on the show. Not to mention Mila Kunis who stars on the show. Sure plenty won't/don't like him, but many do. I think he'll be great.
    And nothing was worse than Franco-Hathaway, so I think the Oscars will be OK.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are taking a big swing here. It will be a home run, a double to the wall or a three-pitch strikeout. He isn't the kind of guy who will be "OK."

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

He definitely won't be a afraid of a song and dance routine which works in his favor.

8. DanOregon

For what it's worth - I thought he did a great job on SNL, and if he could turn the Oscars into a free-fire zone taking down 90 percent of the room, I'd be all for it for the spectacle alone. I figure he'll be hemmed in and who wants to see Seth MacFarlane not making cheap shots?
    If at least one winner or presenter doesn't scold him for something he says (and get wild applause for doing it), it will be a disappointment and MacFarlane would be doing it wrong.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

He's a classically trained pianist and singer.

I don't expect this move to be popular. His humor isn't everyone's cup of tea.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dan, that kind of environment did not go well for Chris Rock.

But I agree. It's like hiring Colbert to do the White House Correspondents Dinner. You get upset, it's your own fault.

11. DanOregon

I heard a radio talk host explain why we watch awards shows: To see attractive, wealthy, and talented people make total asses out of themselves.
    I'll say this, I'll be tuning in. Which I think is the whole point. The Oscars should get a ratings bounce just from an increase in male viewers watching.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

He's the writer/creator of Family Guy and the voice of Stewie on the show. This past year, he was the writer of the movie Ted.

I'm not a fan. I'm wondering what it's going to take to get Neil Patrick Harris and Hugh Jackman to co-host the Oscars. Personally, NPH has done a great job the last few years with the Tonys. They've got to give him the Oscar hosting gig one of these years...right?

Draft saved Draft deleted