1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And you thought baseball parents were tough to deal with

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 5, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Onion couldn't come up with something as ridiculous as this:

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's important to remember, when looking for schools, to consider their student-to-teacher ratio, the number and variety of extracurricular activities, and their SORV. (Sushi Over Replacement Value).

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

More and more I realize the key to business success is not selling something reasonably priced to many people, but selling something so expensive that a few suckers assume it just HAS to be great.

Off to bottle my $200 Bathtub Wine!

4. What do you expect when you give rich douchebag bullies more of a role in administering a school?

5. Humungus

Humungus Member

I actually read that the other day. I couldn't believe it either. I would say they're raising their kids in a bubble, but based on where they go to college and the company they keep afterward the ultra-rich stay in a bubble for their entire lives.

Not judging them, mind you, but it's a completely different America.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Baseball parents? Nothing compared to what these are: soccer parents.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Part of the Wall Street/hedge fund boom means more people with FU money are living in Manhattan. In the past, they would have lived in the suburbs. There number of multi-bedroom apartments in luxury buildings for them to live has exploded. But the number of private schools has stayed pretty constant and there is a huge excess demand.

We could never have afforded a private school and moved out before our oldest was 2 (and as a product of NYC public schools and being the son and nephew of NYC public school teachers, I never would send my kids to a private school). But all of the stories which you hear about the crazy parents, expensive schools and snooty administrators are true. I had a friend who paid $10k a year so that his 2 year old could go to school for 4 hours per week, just because they needed to be on a list for that preschool/grade school. My wife's cousin had her 18 month old meeting with an advisor to help him get into preschools.

This school appears to be like the country club which will take anyone as long as they pay an insane fee to join. The school appears to cater to the high maintenance parent and is getting what it deserves. What a nightmare.

Draft saved Draft deleted