1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And yet another example of parental stupidity...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Parental stupidity"

That's tautological.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think the answer is clear. No youth teams should be allowed to have more people on the roster than there are positions on the field or court.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nice to see those parents setting a good example to follow for their children.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Smart ass! :p ;)

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

Maybe youth sports should just be banned.

But come to think of it, I recently heard an NPR story about a coach in Chicago, I think, who was a former MLB player. He remembered fondly his days of playing stick ball in the streets in which there were no winners.

So he formed a league that teaches youth the fundamentals of sports, devoid of the screaming and hollering and the win-at-all-costs attitude. The games the league plays -- there are no scores kept, and it's caught on in that area with a lot of support from parents. Of course, there were some crusty old bastards from another rec league in the area that said this no winners/no losers baseball league was coddling youth, and was too touchy-feely for their liking.

And the MLB guy that started the league said he has former players from the league, now in college, volunteering to help coach it. Some of the former players are playing college baseball now.

8. sartrean

sartrean Member

Uhh, excuse me but I'm a sports journalist and I just don't know what "tautological" means and I'm unable and unskilled enough to look it up in the dictionary (do research).

And I hope you know what sarcasm is.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

A thought just hit me as I read this: If for some reason you have a great desire to get your name in the sports pages occasionally without being a player or coach, be a youth sports psychologist who studies parents' behavior at games or practices. You'll have reporters calling you every time something like this comes up, which is more and more often.

10. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

What more is there to say.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Apparently nothing.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fixed. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted